Crispy Baked Ikan Bilis
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Crispy Baked Ikan Bilis (Anchovies)
Ikan bilis come in vary degrees of saltiness depending on the type you buy and as a general guide, I recommend rinsing them in two changes of water before use; but if your ikan bilis is the extra-salty variety, you may need another 1-2 rinses. At the same time, do not over-rinse the ikan bilis or they will taste bland.
- 200 grams ikan bilis/anchovies/江鱼仔 (roughly 200 grams per tray)
- Rinse the ikan bilis (anchovies) in two changes of water (more if the type you bought is extra-salty).
- Pat dry the ikan bilis on paper towels and arrange them one flat layer on a baking tray. For best results, allow to air dry for about an hour before baking.
- Bake the ikan bilis in a preheated oven of 180°C for about 10 – 15 minutes, until they just turned a lovely light brown.
- Use a spatula to stir and spread the ikan bilis evenly, then continue baking at 200°C for another 10 minutes, or until they turn a shade of golden brown. Store in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.