Chrysanthemum Tea 菊花茶
The weather is so hot right now in Singapore that it is becoming unbearable. I really miss the rainy days so much. How does one cope when things get too hot to handle? Herbal cooling tea (凉茶), in this case, the no-fuss Chrysanthemum Tea – comes to the rescue!
This requires just a few ingredients and takes only 10 minutes to make. It quenches your thirst and has “cooling” properties, which bring down body heat. It is suitable for all seasons & perfect especially for Singapore’s all-year-round tropical weather as well as the hot summer months.
- 50g dried chrysanthemum flowers (菊花/朵朵香)
- 1.5 litre water
- 50g rock sugar (adjust to taste)
1. In a pot, bring water to a boil. Once the water starts to boil, add chrysanthemum. Simmer for a minute or two (do not simmer for too long). Add rock sugar to taste and turn off the stove when the sugar has dissolved. Serve the drink at room temperature or chilled.
2. Take out the chrysanthemum flowers andsieve the liquid through a strainer. Drink chilled or at room temperature.
1. Add 10g licorice (liquorice) roots (aka gan zao) or about 8 pieces in step 1. Read about its health benefits below, but skip this if you are pregnant or have high-blood pressure.
1. You can also add 1 tsp of wolfberries (soaked in water till puffy first) if desired.
2. There are a type of chrysanthemum flowers which do not require boiling (杭菊); simply place the ingredients in a cup/tea pot, pour boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes. However, I prefer to bring the ingredients to a brief simmer to let the flavours seep in.
3. If you do not want to use a strainer, you can put the chrysanthemum flowers in disposable soup pouches and discard the entire pouch after simmering.
Some Possible Benefits of Chrysanthemum
|- quench thirst
- detoxify the body
- aid in recovery from influenza, mild sunstroke
- ‘cooling’ property which regulates the body’s ‘yin and yang’, reducing internal body heat
Some Possible Benefits of Licorice Root
|- fight inflammation, infections, and allergies
- help soothe coughs and colds
- improve digestion
- ease menstrual cramps
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|