Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe Lady Finger with Sambal Belacan Dip Recipe Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe

Chocolate Lava Cake

Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe

My buddy Anemone showed me this yummy looking Chocolate Lava Cake recipe and we made a date to come over my place to make it. It was really fun for friends to cook together!

You May Also Like: Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe

I don’t normally have a sweet tooth, and I wasn’t really acquainted with this French dessert, but my friend convinced me that I will like it. She was right – it was really good! Not too sweet like most desserts are, and just the right amount of chocolatey-ness. Not just any chocolate, but warm & oozing runny chocolate goodness (hence the names chocolate lava cake/molten chocolate cake/chocolate fondant pudding).

Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe

Both my friend and I agreed that it is a very simple recipe and we succeeded in making it to the right consistency on the first attempt (chocolate oozing out when cut in the middle). I think this is an excellent dessert to serve when entertaining guests – simply prepare everything in advance, and after your guests have finished their main course, just pop the ramekins into the oven for 10 minutes. Your guests will really be impressed with how effortless you whip up a warm and delicious dessert with no sweat and in no time at all – never mind the messy behind-the-scenes, you would have washed up before they arrived.

216 Responses to “Chocolate Lava Cake”

1. Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog — January 23, 2010 @ 7:34 pm

Definitively a gorgeous, decadent and colorful cake with the strawberries :)

Have a great weekend,

Gera

2. pigpigscorner — January 24, 2010 @ 5:08 am

I have to try this! Sounds really simple! and looks amazing.

3. sherlyn — January 26, 2010 @ 10:53 pm

Wiffy, when did u get the oven safe ramekins in daiso? They still have it? the IMM branch?

• wiffy replied: — January 27th, 2010 @ 9:19 am

I got it a few months ago, at the Daiso rivervale mall outlet. It’s a pretty new outlet and quite “ulu” so I managed to find them. When my friend tried to look for them recently (about a month ago), she couldn’t find them anymore.

Have you been to Sia Huat at Temple Street? They sell a lot of oven-safe white ramekins. My friend got them for around S$2 too.

4. blessed homemaker — January 28, 2010 @ 11:15 pm

I’ve shortlisted the same recipe but yet to give it a try, simply too many recipes on my to-do list! Your cake looks yummy!

5. Diana — January 30, 2010 @ 11:45 pm

been such an avid follower of your website and you always make the recipes sound so easy!! made this tonight and it was yummmmmy!

• wiffy replied: — February 5th, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

Glad to hear it was yummy! Thanks for your note :)

6. Joeron — February 28, 2010 @ 4:31 pm

I have been dying to try out yr recipe since the day i saw it. finally tried it today(1st time baking) with the help of my cousin. They looked ok when i took it out of the oven, being undercooked in e middle… =)
    now waiting for my nieces to come be my guinea pig…lol

• wiffy replied: — March 2nd, 2010 @ 3:29 pm

undercooked in middle sounds perfect for lava cake :) Hope your nieces like them :)

7. zonexo — March 13, 2010 @ 8:31 pm

Hi, I just tried it. I have trouble getting the cake out of the ramekin. The sides have no problem but the bottom got stuck. Is it becos there’s not enough butter at the bottom?

Also the top of the cake came out like an exploded volcano, why is that so? Does it has to do with the temperature?

Hope you can help and thanks for providing this simple but delicious recipe!

• wiffy replied: — March 29th, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

Hi zonexo, sorry for the late reply, I missed this.

Yes I think you should butter the bottom with more butter.

I’m not really sure why it exploded because I am not an experienced baker. Could it be over-baked (either temperature or duration).

• Saggits replied: — May 21st, 2012 @ 10:29 am

Hey zonexo,

My attempt was the same like yours. I have tried making it 5times and i still could not succeed. My friend whom make it succeeded. So i suspect its my oven and I am going to try using his oven to see if its works, if it does. The problem lies with our oven.

But then keeping the batter in the fridge do works.

8. Lilacz — April 27, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

I flopped big time in this…my lava cake sinked in the middle, and it tasted undercooked. The difference between the recipe and mine is im using muffin tray, so i reduced cooking time to 8mins as mentioned in earlier post. I have also reduced the temperature by 10degress as im using fan forced oven. Im wondering if i have beat too long for step 2? Or is the temperature still too high? Any idea?

• wiffy replied: — April 28th, 2010 @ 11:11 am

Is the taste still good despite it sinking? If it’s undercooked that means it couldn’t be temperature too high? I’m no expert on baking but you can try to increase the baking time, say to 10 minutes. For my first lava cake attempt, I bake a single one in the oven first so that I know the timing to bake the rest based on my oven.

9. hanushi — May 22, 2010 @ 7:05 pm

6 oz ramekin – what is the dimension?

• hanushi replied: — July 7th, 2010 @ 11:03 pm

Maybe I am not clear… I would like to ask the diameter and height of the ramekin. :)

• wiffy replied: — July 7th, 2010 @ 11:24 pm

So sorry for my late reply, I missed your message. Diameter about 7cm, height about 4cm :)

• hanushi replied: — July 9th, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

hehe… many thanks!! :)

10. sidarieva — June 15, 2010 @ 3:42 am

Nice recipe!!!! Many greetings from Greece!!!(we are friends at we rule game!!!)

• wiffy replied: — June 15th, 2010 @ 9:52 pm

omg, first time I had a werule friend come visit ;) Thanks for your compliment :)