Chocolate Lava Cake
Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
If you are preparing the batter in advance, do not keep it in the fridge as the mixture may hardened and the time for baking it will be quite different. Prepare just a few hours in advance and keep at room temperature.
Serves: three 6-oz ramekin cakes
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 100g dark chocolate (example, Cadbury Old Gold 70% cocoa), cut to small cubes
- 100g unsalted butter, cut to small cubes
- 2 eggs
- 50g caster sugar
- 20g self-raising flour
To decorate (optional)
- icing sugar and small sieve
- vanilla ice cream
Additional tools needed
- electric whisk (hand-held)
- oven safe ramekins (6-8 oz)
- Melt dark chocolate and butter using either the microwave, a hot water bath or a double boiler (note: do not use direct stove heat or the ingredients will burn).
- In a large bowl, use an electric whisk (you can whisk by hand too but it's more tedious) to beat the eggs and sugar till the mixture turns pale and frothy. This will take a few minutes.
- Pour melted chocolate/butter you prepared in step 1, into the egg mixture prepared in step 2. Stir in the flour. Use a spatula to mix everything evenly.
- Grease your ramekins with some melted butter (so that the cake will come off cleanly when it is baked). Fill the ramekin almost 3/4 full with the chocolate mixture and bake in a preheated oven of 180°C (356°F) for about 10 minutes. Mine took exactly 11 minutes. The cake is deliberately slightly undercooked so as to achieve its ideal consistency which is runny in the middle (hence the name fondant/molten/chocolate lava) but if you over-bake it, you will get a super moist chocolate cake which is yummy too.
- When it is baked, remove ramekin from oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes. Use a spoon to gently loosen the edges. Carefully invert the cake onto serving plate.
- Serving suggestion: Use a sieve to dust icing sugar over the cake. Serve a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some berries at the side.
Leave a Comment
205 Responses to “Chocolate Lava Cake”
Pingback: Eggless Tiramisu Recipe