This Chinese-style pickled vegetables is the perfect appetizer dish to complement any Chinese meal, and so unbelievably easy to make! Recently, we have been eating really simple at home on weekdays nights with only one Chinese soup of the day and rice. With no sumptuous side dishes, these humble pickled vegetables totally perk things up at the dinner table! The sour and sweet flavour makes it an excellent appetite booster. I learnt the tip about marinating and ‘sweating’ the cucumber for extra crunchiness from Little Corner of Mine (check out her delicious Pickled Radish, Cucumber and Carrot Recipe). My mix of ingredients is similar to our local acar - with cucumbers, shallots, pineapples and chilli padi.
Like Noob Cook on Facebook
Recipe Updates via Email
Note: This recipe fills one x 750ml bottle.
Chinese-style Pickled Vegetables
- Serves: one x 750ml bottle of pickles
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 5 mins
This Chinese-style pickles is the perfect appetizer dish to complement any Chinese meal. You can eat it an hour after soaking but for best results, allow to soak overnight before consumption. Keeps refrigerated for about a week (though it will probably not last that long).
- 1 cucumber de-seeded, cut to uniform, chunky fries strips
- 1 carrot peeled, cut to uniform, chunky fries strips
- 8 shallots peeled and thinly sliced
- 50 grams sliced pineapples diced
- 2 chilli padi sliced thinly; to taste
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp + a pinch of salt to taste
- one x 750ml glass bottle
- Rub cut cucumber with 1 tsp salt, allow to 'sweat' for at least 30 minutes. This will make the cucumbers more crunchy. Rinse, drain and squeeze dry.
- In a saucepan, bring to a simmer: vinegar, sugar, water and a pinch of salt, until the sugar dissolves. Adjust to taste accordingly to your preference.
- When the vinegar solution has cooled, add to it the prepared cucumber, carrot, shallots, pineapple and chilli. Store in a covered glass bottle and refrigerate.
Pages: 1 2
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|