Cereal Prawns (Cheater’s Method)
Cereal Prawns Recipe
Deepfrying the prawns (including the shells) and curry leaves before the actual wokking ensures that they are crispy after cooked, which is an important criteria of a good cereal prawn dish.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 40g of instant cereal prawn mix (I use half a packet)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 8 large prawns (about 250g)
- yolks of 2 raw salted eggs chopped roughly (see ingredient substitution note below)
- 2 chilli padi (bird's eye chilli) sliced thinly
- 30g butter
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Using a pair of kitchen scissors, make a slit across the top of the prawn and pull out the veins, leaving the entire shell for the prawn still intact.
- In a wok, add enough oil to cover the prawns. When the oil is hot enough (starting to bubble gently at the sides), add in the prawns and curry leaves. Cover and deep fry until the prawns are just cooked. Drain most of the oil leaving just a bit left in the wok and also set aside the prawns and curry leaves. Discard the curry leaves stalks.
- Melt butter in the wok, then add chopped salted egg yolks, cereal prawn mix, sliced chilli padi and previously deep fried curry leaves. Stir fry till fragrant.
- Add the prawns and stir until they are evenly coated in the cereal paste.