Cabbage with Eggs
Cabbage with Eggs Recipe
Cabbage, when cooked right (not too raw and not overcooked) has a natural sweetness and mild crunch.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 250 grams or half a head cabbage sliced to 2-cm width
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 slices ginger minced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 egg lightly beaten with 1/4 tsp light soy sauce and white pepper
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
Sauce (A) - Combine in a small cup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- dashes of white pepper powder to taste
- Heat oil in wok; stir fry ginger until fragrant. Add garlic and stir fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add cabbage and stir fry until they start to soften. Add sauce (A), stirring to coat cabbage evenly in the sauce. Cover with lid and allow to simmer on low heat for about 2 minutes.
- Pour egg mixture over the cabbage and stir fry quickly. Once the egg is almost cooked, drizzle cooking wine along the sides of the wok and turn off the stove when you smell the aroma of the wine seconds later.
Noob Cook Tips
- If you have ready chicken or vegetable stock (or you may also cheat with chicken cube), you can use it in place of the sauce used in this recipe.
- Cabbage, when cooked right (not too raw and not overcooked) has a natural sweetness and mild crunch.
- The cabbage used in this recipe is the round head type (aka (Beijing Cabbage/gaolicai/高丽菜/卷心菜) and not to be confused with the longish type aka napa cabbage.