Cabbage with Eggs
This is my mum’s easy and fast cabbage stir-fry which I love to cook on busy weekday nights. I tend to add cabbage to my supermarket trolley nowadays as it is cheap, nutritious and keeps well in the fridge. I usually cook the leafy vegetables first, and hardy vegetable like cabbage and choyote towards the end of the week. Like all my mum’s recipes, even though the key ingredients are few (in this case: cabbage, egg and light soy sauce), the taste is superb with the natural sweetness of cabbage totally standing out in this stir-fry.
Like Noob Cook on Facebook
Recipe Updates via Email
More Cabbage Ideas:
Stir-fried Cabbage Recipe
Check out all cabbage recipes.
Chinese Cabbage Soup Recipe
|Curry Vegetables Recipe|
Cabbage with Eggs Recipe
- Serves: 2-3
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
This is my mum's easy and fast recipe for stir-fried cabbage with eggs. The cabbage used in this recipe is the round head type (aka gaolicai/高丽菜) and not the longish type aka napa cabbage. Cabbage, when cooked right (not too raw and not overcooked) has a natural sweetness and mild crunch.
- 250 grams or half a head cabbage (Beijing Cabbage/高丽菜/卷心菜 ) sliced to 2-cm width
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- dashes of white pepper powder to taste
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 slices ginger minced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 egg lightly beaten with 1/4 tsp light soy sauce and white pepper
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (Hua Tiao/Shao Hsing) optional
- Combine in a cup: water, light soy sauce, sesame oil and white pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in wok; stir fry ginger until fragrant. Add garlic and stir fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add cabbage and stir fry until they start to soften. Add sauce prepared in Step 1. Stir to coat evenly, cover with lid and allow to simmer on low heat for about 2 minutes.
- Pour egg mixture over the cabbage and stir fry quickly. Once the egg is almost cooked, drizzle cooking wine along the sides of the wok and turn off the stove when you smell the aroma of the wine seconds later.
Pages: 1 2
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|