Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Chinese Black Pepper Beef

Black Pepper Beef Recipe

Note: First posted in Aug 2008, updated with improved recipe and new photos in Nov 2014

This Chinese-style black pepper beef  is one of my family’s favourite Chinese beef stir fry.  The family gets loads of satisfaction every time I cook this, where the only ‘complaint’ I will get is that I did not cook enough. Thanks to my friend Joyce whom I adapted her original recipe (imparted to me verbally) from.

See Also: Steak with Black Pepper Sauce Recipe

The black pepper marinade recipe can be used for stir frying other meats such as chicken, if you do not take beef. The hot pepper is great for a cool, rainy day and best enjoyed with a bowl of warm steamed rice.

black and white peppercorns

My family uses a combination of black and white peppercorns in our black pepper stir-fries, as we think that a mix of peppercorns taste better. You may always use all black pepper, if preferred. For best results, I buy whole peppercorns and grind or pound them to powder just before cooking – the peppery flavour will be more fragrant this way. If you are short of time though, you can use store-bought powdered pepper.

33 Responses to “Chinese Black Pepper Beef”

1 2 3
  1. Joyce — August 19, 2008 @ 9:31 pm

Hey Hey! I’m glad you really like my simple recipe. I’m really honoured that u decided to feature my humble recipe. Enjoy!

2. tigerfish — August 19, 2008 @ 10:46 pm

Whoa….you add so much B&W pepper!
    I have cooked black pepper beef some time ago. Need to post soon! Mine has less veg though – just broccoli.

3. Little Corner of Mine — August 19, 2008 @ 10:46 pm

Delicious! My family loved this too! Since I don’t buy beef, I have my easy pork version coming up。:)

4. Fearless Kitchen — August 19, 2008 @ 11:11 pm

This looks great, and not overly complicated.

5. didally — August 19, 2008 @ 11:14 pm

This black pepper dish looks really yummy with rice. Wow, one tablespoonful of black pepper, is it very spicy? So sad, the other half dun like black pepper-ed dishes. *sob*

6. [eatingclub] vancouver || js — August 19, 2008 @ 11:44 pm

Looks great: we’ll be fighting over this one at our house!

7. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) — August 20, 2008 @ 12:53 am

This does look like a great recipe — we often take black (and white) pepper for granted, because we put it in everything, but it’s really a star ingredient in this stir fry.

8. Farina — August 20, 2008 @ 3:08 am

im so gonna try this! Thank you for reminding of the white pepper that i have somewhere behind all other herbs.

9. sunita — August 20, 2008 @ 5:03 am

Thank you so much for your lovely entry…glad you could participate :-)

10. Ning — August 20, 2008 @ 7:06 am

This is Hubby’s favorite restaurant dish. Will have to cook this sometime. Thanks for the recipe! :-)

1 2 3