Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review) Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe

Bitter Gourd with Egg

Bittergourd Egg Stir-Fry

Note: This is an old recipe from 2007 which has been re-written and updated with new photos.

Bitter gourd is a healthy vegetable and it is known to reduce “heatiness” – a really much-needed attribute for tropical dwellers like me who is living in hot and humid Singapore.

Similar Recipe: Bittergourd with Salted Egg

Bitter gourd is very much an acquired taste for me because when I was a kid, I did not dare to eat it at all, but now I have since grew to love it. This bittergourd with egg (苦瓜炒蛋) is a classic local home-cooked Chinese home-style dish where fermented black beans and eggs are stir-fried with the bitter gourd slices.

Bittergourd Egg Stir-Fry

24 Responses to “Bitter Gourd with Egg”

1 2 3
  1. Ann@Anncoo Journal — October 4, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

I love bitter gourd very much and always love to cook this dish at home. Delicious and healthy :)

2. wyyv — October 4, 2011 @ 8:18 pm

oh yeah, that’s the dish which my mom always cook too :)

3. daphne — October 4, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

I have to search for bittergourd in Perth! the bigger kind and not the smaller more bitter version of it to make this for sure! ;)

4. tigerfish — October 5, 2011 @ 4:26 am

I recalled I never hated bitter melon even as a kid. Coincidentally, I have my bitter melon post coming up soon :p

5. The Sudden Cook — October 5, 2011 @ 10:47 am

Hmmm….it seems like I’m the only one who is not a fan. My dad had to ‘force’ me to eat it! And now that I’m the cook in my home – it’s off the menu:)

6. Lia Chen — October 5, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

Missed out so many of your yummy posts. I’m trying to catch up. Love bitter gourd since I was a kid. I usually put small prawns and dried shrimp chilli paste to cook it. I wish my kids will love it too but so hard to make them like it :)

• wiffy replied: — October 5th, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

I have been missing out too – been travelling and sick, travelling and sick :( I like your version, will check it out :)

7. Chris — October 5, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

Thanks for sharing. This is a very homely dish and I love this.

8. MaryMoh — October 5, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

Mmmm….my favourite. This is a very healthy dish. But sadly, I hardly see it here :(

9. mochachocolatarita — October 6, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

wahhh never had this for a long time…and i love the black beans in this dish, lemme try try

10. Sook — October 6, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

Mm this dish looks healthy! And it looks so delicious, too! I don’t think I’ve tried bittergourd before. Sounds interesting!

1 2 3