Fermented Bean Curd (Nam Yee) Chicken Wings Recipe MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe

Bitter Gourd with Egg

Bittergourd Egg Stir-Fry

Check Out: Claypot Chicken with Bittergourd Recipe

Note: This is an old recipe from 2007 which has been re-written and updated with new photos.

Bitter gourd is a healthy vegetable and it is known to reduce “heatiness” – a really much-needed attribute for tropical dwellers like me who is living in hot and humid Singapore. Bitter gourd is very much an acquired taste for me because when I was a kid, I did not dare to eat it at all, but now I have since grew to love it. This bittergourd with egg (苦瓜炒蛋) is a classic local home-cooked Chinese home-style dish where fermented black beans and eggs are stir-fried with the bitter gourd slices.

Bittergourd Egg Stir-Fry

24 Responses to “Bitter Gourd with Egg”

1 2 3
  1. Ann@Anncoo Journal — October 4, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

I love bitter gourd very much and always love to cook this dish at home. Delicious and healthy :)

2. wyyv — October 4, 2011 @ 8:18 pm

oh yeah, that’s the dish which my mom always cook too :)

3. daphne — October 4, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

I have to search for bittergourd in Perth! the bigger kind and not the smaller more bitter version of it to make this for sure! ;)

4. tigerfish — October 5, 2011 @ 4:26 am

I recalled I never hated bitter melon even as a kid. Coincidentally, I have my bitter melon post coming up soon :p

5. The Sudden Cook — October 5, 2011 @ 10:47 am

Hmmm….it seems like I’m the only one who is not a fan. My dad had to ‘force’ me to eat it! And now that I’m the cook in my home – it’s off the menu:)

6. Lia Chen — October 5, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

Missed out so many of your yummy posts. I’m trying to catch up. Love bitter gourd since I was a kid. I usually put small prawns and dried shrimp chilli paste to cook it. I wish my kids will love it too but so hard to make them like it :)

• wiffy replied: — October 5th, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

I have been missing out too – been travelling and sick, travelling and sick :( I like your version, will check it out :)

7. Chris — October 5, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

Thanks for sharing. This is a very homely dish and I love this.

8. MaryMoh — October 5, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

Mmmm….my favourite. This is a very healthy dish. But sadly, I hardly see it here :(

9. mochachocolatarita — October 6, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

wahhh never had this for a long time…and i love the black beans in this dish, lemme try try

10. Sook — October 6, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

Mm this dish looks healthy! And it looks so delicious, too! I don’t think I’ve tried bittergourd before. Sounds interesting!

1 2 3