Bitter Gourd with Egg
Bitter Gourd with Egg Recipe
Tip for choosing bitter gourd: In general, dark green bitter gourd is more bitter and light green is less bitter.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 150-200 grams bitter gourd (bitter melon/苦瓜)
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp fermented black beans rinsed, patted dry & mashed slightly with a fork
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- a small pinch of salt to taste
- Cut bitter gourd to half (length-wise) and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Slice bitter gourd thinly.
- Heat oil in wok and stir fry garlic and fermented black beans until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add bitter gourd slices and stir fry over high heat for about 2-3 minutes until almost cooked (turning slightly translucent).
- Pour the beaten egg slowly over the bitter gourd slices. Stir fry until the egg is cooked and dry. Season to taste with salt.
Noob Cook Tips
If you want to reduce the bitterness of bittergourd, rub a small amount of salt on the halved bitter gourd and leave for a few minutes, after which rinse away the salt with water before slicing. I personally enjoy the bitterness so I omitted this step.
- Adding meat – in a small bowl, mix 100g of minced pork (or chicken), a small pinch of sugar, Chinese pepper powder, 1 tsp sesame oil and 1 tsp light soy sauce. Marinade for 10 minutes. Add the meat after step 2, and try to break up the meat to small pieces with a frying turner or spatula. Stir fry until the meat is halfway cooked before adding the bitter gourd slices.
- Adding wolfberries – Soak 1 tsp wolfberries 5 minutes, drain the water, and add in step 3.
Leave a Comment
26 Responses to “Bitter Gourd with Egg”
Pingback: Eggs-quisite! | myMOVEMENTS