MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe Durian Cream Puff Recipe

Basil Pesto

Basil Pesto Recipe

Check Out: Pesto Pizza Recipe

A while ago, I made some macademia pesto. Traditionally, pesto is made with pine nuts and fresh basil leaves but back then, I had an abundance of good quality macadamia nuts after a holiday in Australia. So this time round, I decided to post a “proper” recipe for pesto using pine nuts. This is really simple to make and handy to have around. My current favourite use of pesto is to toss it with some angel hair pasta for an almost-instant, yet gourmet meal. Besides pasta, you can use it as a sauce over grilled meats, as a dip for nachos or a spread for baguette. The possibilities are limitless.

35 Responses to “Basil Pesto”

1 2 3
  1. Lia Chen — September 21, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

Nachos dip, will be great!

2. Judy — September 21, 2010 @ 3:04 pm

My daughters and I love pesto. Yours is a timely reminder to me to replenish my supply.

3. tigerfish — September 21, 2010 @ 3:05 pm

Can also serve over grilled or pan-fried fish fillets as the sauce/dressing.

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:45 pm

yes baked salmon with pesto dressing… very nice!

4. Jun Indochine Kitchen — September 21, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

You made your pesto the original way with mortar and pestle! Beautiful picture too

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:42 pm

I didn’t use the mortar and pestle all the way. I used a blender to grind all the dry ingredients first, then transfer to a mortar and pestle while I pound with one hand while adding the olive oil with the other hand.

5. Sonia Nasi Lemak Lover — September 21, 2010 @ 3:53 pm

Haven’t try this before, must try it one day. Thanks for sharing.

6. TasteHongKong — September 21, 2010 @ 4:17 pm

Agree, this is simply versatile. That is why I try to grow a small pot of basil beside my window.

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:45 pm

I used to grow basil solely for making pesto! But sadly, I barely have enough harvest to make anything with it … and shortly later my plant died T_T

7. Angie's Recipes — September 21, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

Love the pesto..goes so well with pasta too.

8. Little Inbox — September 21, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

I don’t like basil. Too bad. :(

9. Judy — September 21, 2010 @ 5:17 pm

Hmm… I think a mistake I make is not toasting the pine nuts. that should make quite a difference, no? i’ve been making my own pesto forever (back since I thought it was outrageous to spend S$8 on a jar from the supermarket) and i’m completely biased cause I like to go OTT on the garlic =) must be hard going at it with a mortar and pestle! wonder if the taste is also different that way?

• wiffy replied: — September 21st, 2010 @ 6:44 pm

Hi Judy, I don’t think it’s a mistake, but I personally find that toasting the nuts really make a difference, the flavour is richer and deeper. Try it out next time ;) Oh for the mortar and pestle, I only used it at the end when I was adding the olive oil.

10. Trissa — September 21, 2010 @ 5:41 pm

While I did enjoy your macadamia pesto – I love the traditional pesto made with pine nuts… such a versatile recipe.

1 2 3