Baked Scallops with Cheese
Baked Scallops with Cheese Recipe
To prevent soggy baked scallops - Bake the scallops without toppings for 5 minutes and drain the broth collected from the first round of cooking, before returning it to the oven with the toppings.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 8 mins
- 6 half-shelled scallops if using frozen, thaw before use
- 30 grams unsalted butter cubed
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- a small pinch of salt to taste; omit if using salted butter
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 60 grams shredded mozerella cheese
- dried parsley flakes garnishing
- Remove scallop meat from the shell, rinse the meat thoroughly and remove any dirty bits. Scald the scallop shells in hot water for a few minutes to disinfect, discard hot water and rinse the shells. Return scallop meat to the shell.
- Place cubed butter in a small bowl and microwave for 40 seconds. Use a spoon to stir the butter vigorously to form a smooth paste. Add mayonnaise, salt and pepper; stir to combine well.
- Place scallops on foil or parchment-lined oven tray. Bake scallops in pre-heated oven of 200°C (392°F) for 5 minutes.
- Using kitchen tongs, carefully drain the scallop broth collected in the shells in a small bowl. You can use the broth for flavouring other dishes.
- Divide and spoon the mayonnaise mixture evenly among the scallops. Top with shredded cheese.
- Return scallops to the oven and bake for another 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned at the edges. Top with dried parsley flakes before serving.
Noob Cook Tip
As the scallops cook, they will release a sweet tasting scallops broth which are collected in the shells. Drain the broth collected in the shells after baking for 5 minutes, before returning it to the oven for the second time with the cheese toppings. You can use the scallops broth in your cooking - I used mine right away to make a quick and satisfying angel hair aglio olio to go with the baked scallops, using the scallops broth in place of pasta water for a naturally sweet unami flavour.