Asari Miso Soup
I love miso soup on its own. But miso soup with added asari clams just bring the taste one notch higher with the deep seafood flavour of the clams broth combined with the savoury miso soup. The result is a sweet and savoury soup full of umami-ness (flavours of the sea). This is so quick to prepare because there is no prolonged simmering involved. The clams will cook in under 2 minutes and as for the miso soup, you just have to dissolve the miso paste in the hot stock. Do not boil miso soup as the high heat may cause fermentation and indigestion. As far as quick and easy goes, this has got to be the most fuss-free Japanese recipes of all, which is why I love to make this soup at home with extra servings of clams. The miso soup sold outside is sometimes too salty, so I like it that I can adjust the saltiness to my liking at home.
Like Noob Cook on Facebook
Recipe Updates via Email
Asari Miso Soup Recipe
- Serves: 3
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 7 mins
In this recipe, Japanese asari clams are used. If you can't find asari clams, feel free to substitute with any type of local clams (such as lala clams, manila clams) in your area.
- 500 ml dashi stock (I cheat by using 1/2 tsp dashi stock powder)
- 250 grams asari clams (may substitute with other clams)
- 50 grams tofu cubed
- 1/2 tbsp dried cut wakame soaked in water until softened and reconstituted
- 1 tbsp miso paste to taste
- 1 leaf of napa cabbage thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions (scallions)
- Scrub clams with a hard brush, then soak in salted water for at least an hour for the clams to purge out sand and impurities. Drain and rinse clams.
- In a small pot, bring dashi stock to boil. Transfer 1 -2 ladles of hot stock to a small bowl and stir to dissolve miso paste completely.
- Reduce heat and add asari clams. Simmer with lid closed for about 1-2 minutes, until all the shells open.
- Add cubed tofu, dried wakame and napa cabbage. Simmer until cabbage is cooked, about a minute. Turn off the heat.
- Return the miso mixture prepared in step 1 back to the pot, while the soup is still hot. Stir evenly.
- Ladle to serving bowls and garnish with chopped spring onions.
(Get more photos, cooking notes and ingredient list on page 2)
Pages: 1 2
|If you enjoy this article, please share, tks!|