Apple Crumble Recipe
Apple crumble (or apple crisp in US and Canada) is a dessert dish of baked apples topped with a crisp crust. This is an easy recipe with only 5 ingredients and no mixer required.
You can bake the crumble in one sharing gratin dish or in individual servings ramekins so that you can serve it directly with a scoop of ice cream. Besides apple, you can also experiment with a combination of apples and rhubarb or berries.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 50 grams plain flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 25 grams butter cut to small cubes
- 2 tbsp caster or super fine sugar to taste
- 1 cooking apple such as Golden Delicious & Granny Smith
- ice cream
- Sift the flour and cinnamon powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Add cubed butter to sifted flour. Using fingertips, gently rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add sugar and mix well with a spoon.
- Peel and core the apple. Slice thinly. Arrange apple slices in a greased, shallow baking gratin dish or ramekin(s).
- Cover apples with the rubbed-in mixture and press lightly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake at pre-heated oven of 200°C (392°F) for about 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly golden brown.
- Break crumble to smaller pieces and serve in a dessert glass. Serve hot with a scoop of ice cream.
Noob Cook Tips
- Make sure the butter cubes, when added to the flour, is still solid and not melty/liquid.
- If the crumble is cooked but the topping is not browned to your liking, you can help brown the crust by using the grill or broil feature of your oven for a few minutes.
- If desired, you may also add some uncooked oats to the crumble topping mixture.