Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

ABC Soup

ABC Soup

Note: First posted in Jul 2009, now updated with new photos and improved recipe.

This Chinese pork ribs soup with vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions, celery) is commonly known as “ABC soup” or “luo song tang” 罗宋汤 here.

See Also: Chinese Soups Recipes

I always wonder why it is called ABC soup since there are no pasta letters in it, and the main ingredients (typically potatoes and carrots) do not all start with the letters A, B and C. Check out the compilation of comments below which explain the origins of the soup name. I know the combination of ingredients is right when 10 minutes into simmering, the entire kitchen is filled with a wonderful soup aroma.

ABC Soup

Possible reasons for the name “ABC Soup” from readers’ comments, thanks for sharing!

• @k (my fave!) “I read from somewhere that it’s called ABC soup because: A-nion, B-otato, C-arrot
  • @Steve Seto – “It’s called “ABC” because it’s popular with American Born Chinese. It’s a name given by native Chinese restaurant workers.
  • @Michelle ChewScientifically and logically, the name ‘ABC’ for this soup arises from the vitamins it provides: Vit A – Carrot, Vit B – Potato (Vit B6 in specific), Vit C – Tomato
  • @andy “A – Ang Mo Kio (Tomato), B – Bah Kut (pork ribs), C – Carrot”
  • My theory (to add on): “Making this soup is as easy as ABC!

63 Responses to “ABC Soup”

1. Yuting Zee via Facebook — June 12, 2012 @ 11:57 am

Love this!! A taste of home….

2. Ivy Tang via Facebook — June 12, 2012 @ 12:25 pm

one of my fav… yummy…

3. Kelly Siew — June 12, 2012 @ 7:31 pm

I think it’s called ABC because it’s super easy to cook. But I also read somewhere that it’s a simplified version of the Luo Song Tang 罗宋汤. Either way it’s delicious and positively comforting!

• wiffy replied: — June 13th, 2012 @ 2:48 pm

you are right about the alternate name 罗宋汤 … updated the post. thanks.

4. Little Inbox — June 12, 2012 @ 10:28 pm

I used to add some cracked white peppers too. :)

5. Juliana — June 13, 2012 @ 1:47 am

Love the simplicity of this soup…so healthy and so tasty…beautifully done.
    Hope you are having a great week :)

6. peachkins — June 13, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

interesting soup!!!!!

7. Gek — June 16, 2012 @ 2:54 am

Hi there, i enjoy reading your posts very much. Makes me very inspired to get started cooking simple meals! And the ABC soup has got to be my all time favourite soup :) Would like to ask, where can i purchase disposable soup pouches?
    Thank you in advance!

8. andy — June 25, 2012 @ 3:37 pm

Its call ABC soup because its A – Ang Mo Kio (Tomato)
    B – Bah Kut (pork ribs)
    C – Carrot

9. luciano Annatone — March 15, 2013 @ 12:23 am

I am going to try your ABC soup.I like all the info you are shaering . I thank you .
    I also have a question , I love diem Sum but can’t find a recipe can you help me.

• floraldoll replied: — March 22nd, 2013 @ 10:31 pm

Hi, where can I buy disposable soup pouch? Thanks.

10. Bee — May 13, 2013 @ 9:53 am

Hi there, love this soup recipe.
    I noticed from the picture that you used Thermal magic pot to cook. I am looking around to buy a suitable one. For the above serving of 4 recipe, what is the best size?
    My parents have one 6 L but it’s too big for me and I remember if too big, it’s not effective in retaining the heat to cook.
    Is 4.5 L suitable or 3L? 3L seems a little bit full if include all the ingredients.

Thanks!

• wiffy replied: — May 14th, 2013 @ 4:17 pm

Hi, I am using the 4.5litres and it can cook for 2-6 persons. Personally I find 6L too big for my need (the SA told me that for this pot to be effective, it needs to be filled at least 1/2 to 3/4). So personally I chose the in-between option: 4.5L. Hope this helps.