Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Zaru Soba (Japanese Cold Noodles)

Zaru Soba

Check Out: Easy Japanese Recipes

Zaru Soba (笊蕎麦)is Japanese chilled buckwheat noodles (soba) served with a soy-based dipping sauce. They are usually served in a basket or a bamboo mat (zaru). The chilled noodles are refreshing and perfect for summer. They go well with any side dishes or finger foods. I love to cook this at home on busy days because both the sauce and noodles can be prepared in minutes and in advance. This is a truly fuss-free and healthy (oil-free) dish. I used to buy pre-made dipping sauce (just need to dilute the concentrated sauce with water) and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them – I love the convenience. But I stopped buying pre-made sauce ever since I learnt how easy and cheap it is to make your own. If you are into Japanese cooking, you probably already own all the ingredients for the dipping sauce in your pantry. Nowadays I always stocked dried soba at home, as I know I can whip this up any time and with little effort.

Zaru Soba

17 Responses to “Zaru Soba (Japanese Cold Noodles)”

1. HoppingHammy — March 23, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

This is sooo beautiful! Fantastic arrangement too and I wanted to say I love your new site design and the fact we can directly print recipes now! :) (or maybe you always had this feature but I didn’t notice it?) Anyway, keep up the great work wiffy!

• wiffy replied: — March 24th, 2012 @ 3:30 pm

thanks, you are so sweet & yay for noticing the new print feature hehe

2. MaryMoh — March 23, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

I love soba noodles but had never tried it with ice. It’s almost always cold here. I think I’ll go for the hot ones :D

3. Ju — March 23, 2012 @ 11:38 pm

Weather is so hot… I would like to have cold soba too. Which brand of soba did u buy? There are so many brands to choose from. Tks.

• wiffy replied: — March 24th, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

I am buying random brands, still in search of the perfect one. Will post a photo if I find something good.

4. Little Corner of Mine — March 23, 2012 @ 11:42 pm

I loved this too, simple and yet delicious.

5. Michelle — March 24, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

Wiffy, in step 1, do u mean you soak the cooked noodles in a bowl of ice cubes? Won’t the soba get soggy?

• wiffy replied: — March 24th, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

Hi Michelle, just put the drained noodles with the ice cubes like the 4th photo on page 2. The ice cubes melt very slowly because you are putting the noodles in the fridge, they won’t become soggy.

6. daphne — March 25, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

It’s a quick and easy meal for sure! Esp for those HOT weather, t his is perfect!

7. tigerfish — March 26, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

I enjoy Zaru Soba too but I seldom cook Japanese food at home ( I don’t even have mirin or dashi powder to start with).

8. Pipana — March 28, 2012 @ 6:33 am

This looks amazing!!!

Great presentation! It must taste really good too ^^

My husband and I are leaving for Japan next week, and one of the dishes on our “MUST-EAT” list is zarusoba ^^

• wiffy replied: — March 28th, 2012 @ 12:30 pm

lucky you! I miss the fresh and quality sashimi in Japan. Have a wonderful trip!! :)

9. Platanos, Mangoes and Me! — March 29, 2012 @ 6:40 am

I love the presentation. I can’t wait to try this on a hot summer day

10. ML Tan — April 28, 2012 @ 11:43 pm

Nice presentation, and thanks for dipping sauce recipe. My store bought sauce is finishing soon, and I was searching for the recipe. Any idea how long can the sauce be kept? 1 to 2 weeks?
    Btw, the soba from Daiso is not bad. Can try :)