Zaru Soba (Japanese Cold Noodles)
Zaru Soba Recipe
Besides regular soba, you can use other Japanese noodles such as cha soba (green tea buckwheat noodles) and somen (thin wheat noodles).
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 2 servings (about 150 grams) of soba (buckwheat noodles) may substitute with chasoba or somen
- 8 ice cubes
- 2 small handfuls of shredded nori (roasted seaweed)
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onions
- 2 raw quail eggs optional
- 2 thumb-sized wasabi
Soba Sauce (A)
- 300 ml water
- 2 tbsp Japanese soy or light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1/2 tsp dashi powder
- In a pot of boiling water, cooked soba according to timing indicated in package. Drain cooked noodles, rinse in cold running water and transfer to a bowl with ice cubes. Secure bowl with cling wrap and chill in fridge.
- In a small pot, bring Sauce (A) to a simmer for 1 minute. When the dipping sauce is cooled, transfer to a bottle with lid and chill in fridge.
- When ready to serve, divide and serve chilled noodles (topped with nori) and dipping sauce into two portions. Serve each portion with a saucer of chopped spring onions, quail egg and wasabi at the side.
Noob Cook Tips:
- If you prefer pre-made sauce, you can buy instant soba sauce or all-in-one soup base (can be used for tempura, vegetable stew and soup broth). Dilute sauce with appropriate amount of water as indicated on the package instructions.
- Use a recycled jam bottle for chilling the dipping sauce in the refrigerator.