Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe Teh C Peng "Special" Recipe Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar) Sambal Quail Eggs Recipe Braised Ee-Fu Noodles Recipe

Yong Tau Foo in Black Bean Sauce

Black Bean Sauce Yong Tau Foo

Check Out: Claypot Recipes

Note: This was first posted in Dec 2008, now updated with new photos and improved recipe.

The humble Claypot Yong Tau Foo in Black Bean Sauce ้‡€่ฑ†่… (yong tau hoo) is one of my favourite local food. Although the literal meaning of Yong Tau Foo (YTF) stands for stuffed bean curd, the name has expanded to a broader term and apply not just for stuffed bean curd, but to all kinds of ingredients stuffed with fish paste – for example, lady’s fingers (orka), bitter gourd (bitter melon), eggplant (brinjal) etc. Even ingredients which are not stuffed such as meat balls, dumplings and certain vegetables have now been associated with common YTF selections. There is a stall at the wet market near my home which sells excellent YTF, and I will not miss buying from them whenever I’m there. I usually cook a no-fuss YTF soup with noodles for a simple, fast and healthy one-dish meal. But sometimes, we are in the mood for something different, and that will be a YTF claypot dish cooked in black bean sauce. The YTF sauce coated in the home-made black bean sauce is so deliciously savoury and spicy, we usually need more rice to polish off all the sauce. If you enjoy black bean sauce, check out my spicy black bean sauce chicken recipe.

Black Bean Sauce Yong Tau Foo

33 Responses to “Yong Tau Foo in Black Bean Sauce”

1. Susan — December 23, 2008 @ 11:17 am

Fascinating and gorgeous! Wiffy, are all those differently shaped pieces stuffed with different fillings?

(I use LKK black bean sauce, too. Thanks be to imports. :) )

2. Y — December 24, 2008 @ 6:34 am

Looks amazing. I need to buy some black bean sauce soon!

3. Pauline — April 1, 2009 @ 10:35 am

Hi Noobcook, I came across yr recipes a couple of wks ago when I was searching for recipes on baked food. So far I hv tried out yr 3 cups chickent n they were fabulous. Previously I had a japanese version of that dish but I think yours is tastier! Im going to try making the YTF with black bean sauce 2day but Im going 2 be using the LKK garlic black bean sauce instead coz my little princess cant eat spicy! Looking fwd to yr new recipes….cheers! :-)

4. wiffy — April 2, 2009 @ 9:52 am

Hi Pauline, thanks for your kind words … always happy when I hear that someone out there like my recipes :) Hope you like the rest as well :-)

5. Pauline — April 2, 2009 @ 10:03 am

Have cooked the YTF n they were great! Personally I luv YTF esp the “tau pok”. Cant believe that such a simple dish could taste so gooood! You wont believe this, Im going to cooked it again tis Fri!!! yum..yum…. :lol:

6. Pauline — April 2, 2009 @ 10:10 am

Btw I have tried making the pumpkin rice but it was a disaster coz I think I put in too much water to cook the rice n they turned out to be soggy…..but my little princess said it was delicious!!!! Will try cooking it again!

7. wiffy — April 3, 2009 @ 8:20 am

Thanks again Pauline, glad u like the YTF. Yes I tend to add too much water for the pumpkin/cabbage rice too if I guestimate, so now I measure with a cup.

8. Angie@Angiesrecipes — November 11, 2011 @ 9:13 pm

So yummy and flavourful!

9. mycookinghut — November 12, 2011 @ 4:57 am

This is making my mouth water! I love yong tau foo! Serve with black bean sauce is absolutely yummy!

10. Platanos, Mangoes and Me! — November 13, 2011 @ 11:50 pm

I could really have a bowl like this on a cold winters night.