Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe Red Glutinous Wine Lees

XO Sauce Scallops

XO Sauce Scallops

Check Out: XO Sauce Recipes

This XO sauce scallops is a homely and gourmet treat at the same time. I love XO Sauce and I truly believe that every cook into Chinese cooking should have a bottle in the kitchen. In my pantry, I am never without it. XO Sauce is a gourmet Cantonese seafood sauce made up of dried scallops & dried shrimps among other ingredients, and it can be eaten on its own as a condiment or used in stir-fries. Whenever I need to wok something in a hurry, I used XO Sauce as the base and I will most certainly be ensured a restaurant-quality and luxurious Chinese dish with minimum effort and preparation.

XO Sauce

Even though a bottle of XO Sauce is pricey (about S$20 a bottle) due to the dried scallops, a little goes a long way in cooking. Dishes with XO Sauce are premiumly priced at Chinese restaurants, so a dish with XO sauce is much cheaper when cooked at home.

31 Responses to “XO Sauce Scallops”

1. sjay — February 22, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

Your scallops look beautiful! May I ask where you purchased your Hokkaido scallops? Any suggestions for where to find them fresh? I made the mistake of purchasing scallops at my nearest grocery and then ended up in the bin; slimy and smelly. Thanks for any suggestions–looking forward to trying the recipe!

• wiffy replied: — February 22nd, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

Hi, I’m in Singapore and I got mine at NTUC. There’s a photo of the box with the scallops in the post above. the normal price is S$36.90 but now and then, it’s on sale for about S$30. Hope you find it!

2. Ann@Anncoo Journal — February 22, 2012 @ 10:34 pm

This is definitely an expensive dish if we order in the Chinese restaurant. Home cooked is the best.

3. Little Inbox — February 22, 2012 @ 10:57 pm

That looks very yummy! XO sauce, I must get one as soon as possible! :)

4. tigerfish — February 23, 2012 @ 3:50 am

Woah, I don’t have XO sauce in my pantry leh!….

5. mochachocolatarita — February 23, 2012 @ 11:09 am

wow! restaurant quality indeed! next time you’re in town i get you the ones from Tai O fishing village…full of dried shrimps, no dry scallops, but yumm max!

• wiffy replied: — February 23rd, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

I want! hehe

6. Juliana — February 23, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

I never cooked with XO sauce, only had it in restaurants. Your scallops look delicious with the snow peas.
    Hope you are having a fabulous week Wiffy :)

7. TasteHongKong — February 23, 2012 @ 12:46 pm

Luxurious plus : ), an humble version often with me is noodles with XO sauce.

• wiffy replied: — February 23rd, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

that’s a great idea! I want to try it :)

8. masterofboots — February 23, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

I never thought XO sauce could be used in cooking. Good idea. LOL I could cook this in my new HappyCall pan!

9. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb — February 23, 2012 @ 6:23 pm

Now I realy have to check out what XO sauce is. I never heard or seen it before. thanks for the useful tip!

Looks very delicious your dish by the way! ;)

10. food-4tots — February 24, 2012 @ 12:00 am

I love LKK XO sauce. Like you, we also keep one in the fridge. It goes well with our dried shrimp noodles. Hehehe!! I just found out that LKK XO sauce is so much cheaper in HK than SG. Your dish looks very inviting and colourful!!

• wiffy replied: — February 24th, 2012 @ 11:56 am

yes, I think HK cheaper, but I buy a different brand if I am there (the “lo shan” brand).