Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe

Watercress Soup with Luo Han Guo

Watercress Soup with Luo Han Guo Recipe

Check Out: Watercress with Pork Ribs Soup Recipe

Whenever I have an irritated throat, or I feel a cough coming, I will make this soup remedy. It’s basically the watercress soup recipe, with an added luo han guo fruit (monk’s fruit). Chinese traditional medicine has always used luo han guo fruit to treat coughs, sore throat and combat phlegm. Luo han guo is also naturally sweet, so it gives a sweet taste to this soup. If you don’t like watercress that much, you may find the addition of luo han guo more pleasing to your palate.

Luo Han Guo (Monk's Fruit)

46 Responses to “Watercress Soup with Luo Han Guo”

1. Cat @ theKitchenMaid — July 27, 2010 @ 7:46 pm

I didn’t know this remedy for sore throats. Sure will come in handy!

2. wyyv — July 27, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

Nice soup :) Thank you for sharing it out here ~

3. Tastes of Home — July 27, 2010 @ 9:13 pm

thanks for the recipe using luo hon guo..I didnt even know it was called monk’s fruit :)

4. food-4tots — July 27, 2010 @ 11:44 pm

I made this soup with luo han guo before but added candied dates instead. It is my family’s favourite. But it is not easy to buy those watercress with longer stems in the wet market. The ingredients in your soup are nicely captured. Your shots look absolutely perfect!

5. pigpigscorner — July 28, 2010 @ 2:56 am

It’s getting so hot here I need a large bowl of this!

6. XiaoYen — July 28, 2010 @ 6:11 am

I haven’t had this soup for so long! I think since I was a teenager. This soup is definitely soothing for the itchy throat and great for coughs.

7. TasteHongKong — July 28, 2010 @ 4:34 pm

I love making this soup during winter as watercress is not good in my place during summer. Recently, I boiled luo han guo with apples into a drink.

8. lisaiscooking — July 28, 2010 @ 8:53 pm

I always find it difficult to photograph soup, but you did a great job! The soup sounds lovely with balanced flavor from the sweetness.

9. jo — July 28, 2010 @ 10:49 pm

One of my fav soups. Looks like you cooked yours for quite a while as the soup looks really dark. I love eating the watercress as it is so soft and would have soaked up the soup nicely. The pork rib would be practically dropping of it’s bone too!

10. shirley@kokken69 — July 29, 2010 @ 12:09 am

Hmm… this is interesting. I usually only have Luo Han Guo in sweet dessert soup. This is the first time I am seeing this with meat… Wondering what it tastes like.