Water Chestnut Drink with Sugar Cane
This is a super simple, cooling and refreshing drink that will help quench thirst and beat the heat. This is one of my favourite tasting cooling drinks to combat our hot weather here. I find sugar cane really difficult to chop, so I buy pre-cut ones at NTUC as well as the market.
(Makes about 3 glasses)
- 400g sugar cane/bamboo cane (chopped to shorter lengths to fit cooking pot)
- 2 tbsp barley
- 400g water chestnut (scrubbed & skin removed)
- 2 litres water
- rock sugar, to taste (I use about 50g)
1. In a pot, put all the ingredients except the rock sugar. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce flame and simmer for about 1 hour.
3. During the last 10 minutes of boiling, add rock sugar to taste. Leave a few sugar cane for garnishing and discard the rest.
4. Pour the drink into serving glasses together with water chestnuts (don’t discard them, they are still crunchy), boiled barley and 1 sugar cane in each glass for garnishing.
More drinks recipes