Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Water Chestnut Drink with Sugar Cane

Water Chestnut & Sugar Cane Drink

This is a super simple, cooling and refreshing drink that will help quench thirst and beat the heat. This is one of my favourite tasting cooling drinks to combat our hot weather here. I find sugar cane really difficult to chop, so I buy pre-cut ones at NTUC as well as the market.

Ingredients
(Makes about 3 glasses)

– 400g sugar cane/bamboo cane (chopped to shorter lengths to fit cooking pot)
– 2 tbsp barley
– 400g water chestnut (scrubbed & skin removed)
– 2 litres water
– rock sugar, to taste (I use about 50g)

Water Chestnut & Sugar Cane Drink
Key Ingredients – sugar cane, barley and water chestnuts

Directions
1. In a pot, put all the ingredients except the rock sugar. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce flame and simmer for about 1 hour.
3. During the last 10 minutes of boiling, add rock sugar to taste. Leave a few sugar cane for garnishing and discard the rest.
4. Pour the drink into serving glasses together with water chestnuts (don’t discard them, they are still crunchy), boiled barley and 1 sugar cane in each glass for garnishing.

More drinks recipes

Relax Choya
- Chrysanthemum Tea
- Lemon Barley Drink

I’m sharing this cooling drink with Original Recipes. Check out the round up here.

23 Responses to “Water Chestnut Drink with Sugar Cane”

1. pink parisian — September 2, 2008 @ 10:58 am

I’ve never tried it with barley but I’m sure it tastes great too. I love your pics!

2. [eatingclub] vancouver || js — September 2, 2008 @ 12:18 pm

This is a very exotic drink! I have to try these barley drinks soon. If it’s refreshing, I have to have it.

3. daphne — September 2, 2008 @ 2:51 pm

How refreshing..and u managed to make white/off white look so good in photos!!

4. beachloverkitchen — September 2, 2008 @ 10:07 pm

love this drink,now you make me wanna me to cook sugar cane drink ,no fresh sugar cane here,fermented one,still good!!lol!!

5. lk — September 3, 2008 @ 12:15 am

Wow! Ur bamboo cane looks so “fat” as compared to those I had seen in the supermarket! Must be sweet yeah! So refreshing looking at the pic!

6. wiffy — September 3, 2008 @ 2:18 pm

LCOM:: Ah I didn’t know they are so rare in US… maybe you can find some dried ones ^^

didally, Ning:: Unfortunately, bamboo canes seem much harder than sugar canes, so the one I made can’t be chewed on, hee … ah, I should look for sugar cane next time to make this ;)

tigerfish:: wah… great idea! :D

Dee:: Yes… the weather has been really erratic … half a day of rain, and the other half is soooo hot as usual!! >_<

rita:: hi5!! :D

Katie:: Thanks! I’m so in love with your cat ;)

juhucha:: You can find it at markets, and quite frequently at local supermarkets too. I got mine from NTUC (vegetables section). Good luck finding it! :-)

noblepig:: Thanks! I think this drink is pretty unusual outside of asia ;)

Kevin:: Hope u manage to find it! :-)

pink parisian:: I think the addition of barley makes it more cooling though the taste is quite subtle … thanks girl! :)

js:: yessss, I can vouch for its refreshing-ness… now will you try it … heee :wink:

daphne:: haaa, thanks girl :-)

beachloverkitchen:: woah I have never seen fermented sugar cane … u must take a photo!! :wink:

lk:: Yes it’s sweeeet! I think these bamboo canes look ‘fatter’ than sugar canes? :wink: :D

7. Gitta — September 4, 2008 @ 12:01 am

Drink looks fantastic! I almost want to seal it and keep it on my window sill as “contemporary art” :)
    Are you meant to drink it hot, or cool it in the fridge first?
    Thanks for sharing this one!

8. wiffy — September 4, 2008 @ 1:05 am

Thanks Gitta! You are too kind :-)

I like to drink it when it has cooled to room temperature, or chilled in the fridge (which is the best option) :halo:

9. Farina — September 4, 2008 @ 9:30 am

Hard to find sugar cane here. If there is, they’d add kumquat in it and change the taste altogether. :(

10. Lore — September 9, 2008 @ 1:01 am

Oh my, a unique drink indeed and what a presentation! Thanks for sharing your refreshing recipe with Original Recipes :)