Thai Green Mango Salad
Thai Green Mango Salad Recipe
Use a mortar and pestle to pound the ingredients. If your mortar and pestle is not big enough, pound in batches and transfer to a large salad bowl for tossing. Season the salad dressing to taste accordingly - it should be a balance of hot, salty, sour and sweet.
Prep Time: 20 mins
- 2 Thai green (unripe) mangoes peeled
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts (or cashews)
- 10 Thai dried shrimps or substitute with 3 tbsp Japanese baby dried shrimps
- 3 chilli padi (bird's eye chilli) sliced thinly (to taste)
- 4 shallots peeled & sliced thinly
- 1 raw long bean ends trimmed; sliced to 5 cm (2 inch) length
- 4 tbsp gula melaka syrup or melt 40 grams finely chopped gula melaka (low heat) in a saucepan with 3 tbsp water; or dissolve 3 tbsp honey in 1.5 tbsp water
- 2.5 tbsp Thai fish sauce to taste; different brands vary in saltiness
- 1 Thai lime (or two normal ones) halved & seeds removed
- 5 cherry tomatoes halved
- coriander for garnishing
- Julienne mango using a knife, zigzag peeler or a mandoline slicer. If not using right away, soak in ice water for a few minutes, then drain and pat dry with paper towel before tossing.
- Add garlic, peanuts, dried shrimps, chilli padi, shallots, long beans, honey and fish sauce to mortar. Squeeze lime juice and add in the lime rind. Pound with pestle to gently crush the ingredients to release their flavours, about a minute.
- Add cherry tomatoes and mango. Pound gently until tomatoes are softly crushed, moist but still in tact. Toss to coat evenly. Remove lime rind. Transfer to serving plate and garnish with coriander.