MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe Durian Cream Puff Recipe

Braised Pork Belly in Root Beer

Root Beer Tau Yu Bak

Check Out: Chinese Braised Pork Belly Recipe

Braised pork belly (豆油肉)or “Tau Yu Bak” is my family favourite dish. It is easy to cook with few ingredients and I always cook a large pot with plans for leftovers as it keep well. Recently, I saw recipes for root beer braised pork belly which I thought was really interesting. I have used coca-cola for my chicken wings, so I know it works by caramelising and tenderising the meat while sweetening the stew. Try this if you like a sweeter version of tau yu bak stew. I use my family base recipe for the braised pork belly stew, added a can of root beer and omitted the rock sugar. Though I have only tried with root beer, I am sure it will work with other sweet drinks like Coke too. This is a deliciously savoury dish that goes well with rice or steamed buns Chinese steamed buns.

Root Beer Tau Yu Bak

31 Responses to “Braised Pork Belly in Root Beer”

1 2 3
  1. Jess @ Bakericious — August 22, 2012 @ 2:40 pm

I love lor bak to go with steam bun but never try using root beer, wish can taste it now lol.

2. TasteHongKong — August 22, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

This is really a simple yet interesting way of adding excitement to a traditional braised pork dish.

3. Christine's Recipes — August 22, 2012 @ 6:55 pm

Love all kinds of braised pork, but haven’t tried to cook with root beer. Your dish looks so attractive. Want to give it a go.

4. Esther — August 22, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

Tis is a very nice and mangeable recipe, thanks for sharing. I have never tried adding coke or root beer to my stew, perhaps its time now :). My family and i love tau yu bak, must try this soon.

5. LCOM — August 22, 2012 @ 10:24 pm

Looks great especially with the sambal chili on the side.

6. daphne — August 22, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

Who would have thought of another use for soft drink- i do not like soft drinks in general but this is intriguing.

7. jonie — August 22, 2012 @ 11:01 pm

I am more interested in the chilli sauce next to your tau yu ba. haha.
    Any recipe for it or if store bought can show the bottle. thank you:}

• wiffy replied: — August 22nd, 2012 @ 11:12 pm

Hi jonie, I bought the bottled chilli at Pu Tien restaurant :)

8. tigerfish — August 23, 2012 @ 12:37 am

I have tried coke chicken wings but not root-beer Tau Yu Bak…:) Good one!

9. Mel — August 23, 2012 @ 10:51 am

I loves pork belly but the thought of using root beer in the braising is something really new to me. Just wonder what is the taste but I got to try it to find out. I’m bookmarking this and hopefully my family would loves this dish.

10. mochachocolatarita — August 23, 2012 @ 11:42 am

high five for using soda! YEAHHHHH

1 2 3