Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Taucheo (豆酱) is soy bean paste which is popular ingredient in Chinese cooking, and a staple in my pantry. When I posted taucheo pork recipe, someone asked if the pork can be replaced with chicken and the answer is yes!
This taucheo chicken stir-fry is cooked with my mother‘s taucheo chilli sauce – a simple recipe made of only 3 ingredients namely taucheo, chilli padi and garlic. So far, this chilli blend has been really reliable and works for me every time. If you prefer a milder taste without taucheo, check out the classic stir-fry chicken with ginger and scallions.
Stir-fry Taucheo Chicken Recipe
Taucheo (豆酱) is a preserved soy bean paste popularly used in Chinese cooking. Its saltiness and aroma perks up many Chinese savoury dishes.
- 8 cloves garlic peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 chilli padi (bird’s eye chili) to taste; sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp taucheo (soy bean paste/豆酱)
- 200 grams boneless chicken thigh cut to bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 slices ginger sliced thinly
- 8 shiitake mushrooms stalks removed; quartered or halved
- 3 stalks spring onions cut to 5 cm length
- 1/3 cup water top up with more water if necessary
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1-2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- Using an electric blender, first grind the garlic and chilli until finely chopped. Add in taucheo and blend until a paste is formed. Alternatively, use a mortar and pestle.
- Marinade chicken with sesame oil for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in wok. Stir fry taucheo paste prepared in step 1 until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add ginger and stir fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken, mushrooms and bottom white ends of spring onions; stir fry until the chicken is no longer pink on the surface.
- Add water, dark soy sauce and Chinese wine. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, lid on, turning the chicken pieces once halfway with kitchen tongs.
- Add Chinese wine and remaining spring onions; stir to mix evenly. Once you smell the aroma of the wine seconds later, turn off the heat. Serve with steamed rice.