Banana Strawberry Smoothie Recipe Chinese Minestrone Soup Recipe Claypot Chicken Brown Rice Recipe Lo Mai Gai Recipe 10-Minute Matcha Latte Recipe Braised Tofu Recipe

Tau Yu Bak (Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce)

Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce Recipe

I grew up eating this homely dish of braised pork belly in soy sauce (or locally known as “tau yu bak”/豆油肉) so this is true taste of home-cooked food to me. Deliciously savoury, this dish goes very well with rice or steamed buns (kong bak bao). Every family has a different way of cooking this dish.

Similar Recipe: Braised Pork Belly in Root Beer

My family’s version is no fuss – just one type of soy sauce (dark) and no need to grind the spices. The recipe is also very forgiving and flexible so you can always “rescue” it if something goes wrong. Do not overdose on the spices (like star anise, cinnamon) because a little goes a long way.

Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce Recipe

I re-created the dish from memory of the taste and I let my mum taste test the dish. Her verdict – my tau yu bak was good, and she liked that the sauce is just the right amount (if too much, the stew is diluted; too little will result in insufficient gravy for the rice & meat).

Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce Recipe

108 Responses to “Tau Yu Bak (Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce)”

1. Sally — May 7, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

Hi Wiffy, thinking of trying this dish for dinner tonight. Can I just check with you, I cant seem to find the nice tau pok that we eat usually from the supermarts. The ones they sell seem to be smaller and harder. Are they good for this dish too?

2. Mild — June 8, 2013 @ 2:17 pm

Can I use lean pork instead of belly? Does cooking time need to be reduced? I’m using a clay pot.

• wiffy replied: — June 9th, 2013 @ 11:30 pm

the pork belly cut will be more flavourful, but lean pork will do too :)

• deano replied: — August 27th, 2013 @ 9:12 am

This looks amazing, wiffy. I was looking on rasa malaysia website at the same recipe but i was kind of put off by the unseared pork belly. your recipe has this step and loads of spices whcih is why i’m going to give it a whirl tonight :)

3. eunice — January 6, 2014 @ 4:07 pm

Hi,

I’m going to make this braised pork belly recipe tonight. Can I use fresh shitake mushroom instead of dried ones?

Thanks.

• wiffy replied: — January 6th, 2014 @ 5:53 pm

Yes you can. You don’t have to simmer them as long though; as long as they are softened, they are ready.

4. Carolyn Pe — January 10, 2014 @ 8:53 am

When do you add the mushrooms?

• wiffy replied: — January 10th, 2014 @ 3:27 pm

Step 4. Thanks for pointing it out to me, amended recipe.

• Carolyn replied: — January 10th, 2014 @ 10:03 pm

Thanks for that mod. How about the garlic? Being Hokkien, this dish is so homey to me!

• wiffy replied: — January 15th, 2014 @ 11:59 am

Garlic is part of (A), so it’s at step 4 :)

5. Dois — January 18, 2014 @ 12:16 am

Thanks.

1. Pingback: Braised Pork Belly in Root Beer (Tau Yu Bak)

2. Pingback: NoobCook’s 2010 Picks, Happy 2011!

3. Pingback: Recipes: Tau Yu Bak | The Undomestic Goddess