MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe Durian Cream Puff Recipe

Tau Yu Bak (Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce)

Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce Recipe

Get Recipe >>

I grew up eating this homely dish of braised pork belly in soy sauce (or locally known as “tau yu bak”/豆油肉) so this is true taste of home-cooked food to me. Deliciously savoury, this dish goes very well with rice or steamed buns (kong bak bao). Every family has a different way of cooking this dish.

Similar Recipe: Braised Pork Belly in Root Beer

My family’s version is no fuss – just one type of soy sauce (dark) and no need to grind the spices. The recipe is also very forgiving and flexible so you can always “rescue” it if something goes wrong. Do not overdose on the spices (like star anise, cinnamon) because a little goes a long way.

Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce Recipe

I re-created the dish from memory of the taste and I let my mum taste test the dish. Her verdict – my tau yu bak was good, and she liked that the sauce is just the right amount (if too much, the stew is diluted; too little will result in insufficient gravy for the rice & meat).

Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce Recipe

88 Responses to “Tau Yu Bak (Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce)”

1. Ivy @ My Simple Food — August 18, 2010 @ 2:00 am

This is my family favourite too. Though we don’t really add the satr anise and cinnamon but I think the flavour is much richer when you add them. Love to eat the egg and the gravy.

2. pigpigscorner — August 18, 2010 @ 2:57 am

I love this! Now I have to cook some really soon!

3. lisaiscooking — August 18, 2010 @ 4:57 am

The sauce must be so flavorful. Looks delicious with the eggs!

4. baobabs — August 18, 2010 @ 6:04 pm

awwww i really miss this. My mother used to make this often. funny it’s the same recipe, but in place of rock sugar, she uses the red dates sweet sauce that also gives it the colouring. :)

• wiffy replied: — August 19th, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

that’s interesting! I’ve never heard of red dates sweet sauce but I’ll like it. Would love to try this version one day :)

5. Lia Chen — August 18, 2010 @ 6:48 pm

Great dish! Run well with rice … no need to add other dish. So hungry now :)

6. HungryC — August 18, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

I like tau yu bak with sambal belacan, but what I love most is the fatty pork that melts in the mouth.

7. jo — August 18, 2010 @ 10:16 pm

Wiffy, this looks absolutely delicious. Love the flavours and colour of this dish. I too made some braised pork belly a couple of weeks back .. yum! Love this sauce with steaming white rice.

8. 3hungrytummies — August 19, 2010 @ 7:11 am

This has to be the best tao yu bak I have ever seen! I can imagine how many bowl of rice I will need.

9. gertrude — August 19, 2010 @ 9:53 am

This is a must have dish in our family during festive season. So Hokkien :) I actually like eating this the second day as I think it taste much better.

• wiffy replied: — August 19th, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

yes! somehow it tastes better the second day. I like to cook extras, keep leftovers in a claypot, reheat the next day. It’s really yummy :)

10. Shell — August 19, 2010 @ 10:47 am

This looks delicious! I bought some pork belly in one slab today (1.3kg) but it has the skin on. Do you remove the skin? And how big should each piece of meat be if I cut it up (I will only use 500gm and save the rest for twice cooked pork belly – yum!) Last question, is the dark soy just plain dark soy or a sweet dark soy like kecap manis?
    Thanks!
    Can’t wait to make it,
    Shell

• wiffy replied: — August 19th, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

Hi Shell, I left the skin (and fats) on. To me, it’s the good part… makes the stew very flavourful and I know it’s unhealthy but after stewing, the fatty part just melts in your mouth, very delicious to me.

regarding the size of each piece of meat, it’s up to you. For mine, each stab of meat (when I begin cooking) is 12cm. After stewing, I cut them to the sizes I want (either thinly sliced or 5cm length).

and I use normal dark soy sauce, not kecap manis. Happy cooking!