MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe Durian Cream Puff Recipe

Tau Yu Bak (Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce)

Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce Recipe

Get Recipe >>

I grew up eating this homely dish of braised pork belly in soy sauce (or locally known as “tau yu bak”/豆油肉) so this is true taste of home-cooked food to me. Deliciously savoury, this dish goes very well with rice or steamed buns (kong bak bao). Every family has a different way of cooking this dish.

Similar Recipe: Braised Pork Belly in Root Beer

My family’s version is no fuss – just one type of soy sauce (dark) and no need to grind the spices. The recipe is also very forgiving and flexible so you can always “rescue” it if something goes wrong. Do not overdose on the spices (like star anise, cinnamon) because a little goes a long way.

Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce Recipe

I re-created the dish from memory of the taste and I let my mum taste test the dish. Her verdict – my tau yu bak was good, and she liked that the sauce is just the right amount (if too much, the stew is diluted; too little will result in insufficient gravy for the rice & meat).

Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce Recipe

88 Responses to “Tau Yu Bak (Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce)”

1. Tastes of Home — August 16, 2010 @ 9:57 pm

i love this dish! I’ve never tried cooking this before hehe might have to try one day soon :)

2. joudie's mood food — August 16, 2010 @ 10:08 pm

I love pork, but have never eaten it this way. Looks very interesting and full of flavour. Next on my list….

3. Cooking Gallery — August 17, 2010 @ 12:31 am

Love this dish… especially with rice. The last time I ate this was around 2 years ago…!

4. mycookinghut — August 17, 2010 @ 1:57 am

This is my all time favourite dish! I wish I could have some right now! It always put a smile on my face… yummy!!

5. tigerfish — August 17, 2010 @ 2:58 am

I can just eat rice with the gravy :)

6. Xiaolu — August 17, 2010 @ 3:07 am

One thing I remember and miss from still eating meat when I was little is the wonderful soups and braises. This looks very yummy.

7. MaryMoh — August 17, 2010 @ 3:26 am

This is delicious! I remember eating this when we were young. We can eat a lot of rice with just the sauce alone. I love the eggs too, very flavourful.

8. Chris — August 17, 2010 @ 9:10 am

Hi Wiffy, thank you so much for sharing this dish. I have been searching and waiting for someone to post this tau yu bak which I have been craving for a while but dont know how to cook. I tried your steam tofu with minced meat and wolfberry last week end. I tried a few of your dishes and they were very nice and easy to prepare. Shall drop by here more often to learn from you. thank you once again.

• wiffy replied: — August 19th, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

thanks for trying out the dishes. Glad they turn out well :) And hope you’ll like this dish when you try it also :)

9. Christina — August 17, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

Looks yummy. Will try this out. Thanks for sharing.

10. Clare @ Mrs Multitasker — August 18, 2010 @ 12:21 am

Looks gorgeous wiffy =) I have to do a step by step comparison with the recipe I use to see what’s the difference and try yours out sometime! I like mine but I always feel there’s just a little something missing… I love my mum-in-law’s but she doesn’t have a fixed recipe!