Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review) Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe

Tau Yu Bak (Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce)

Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce Recipe

I grew up eating this homely dish of braised pork belly in soy sauce (or locally known as “tau yu bak”/豆油肉) so this is true taste of home-cooked food to me. Deliciously savoury, this dish goes very well with rice or steamed buns (kong bak bao). Every family has a different way of cooking this dish.

Similar Recipe: Braised Pork Belly in Root Beer

My family’s version is no fuss – just one type of soy sauce (dark) and no need to grind the spices. The recipe is also very forgiving and flexible so you can always “rescue” it if something goes wrong. Do not overdose on the spices (like star anise, cinnamon) because a little goes a long way.

Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce Recipe

I re-created the dish from memory of the taste and I let my mum taste test the dish. Her verdict – my tau yu bak was good, and she liked that the sauce is just the right amount (if too much, the stew is diluted; too little will result in insufficient gravy for the rice & meat).

Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce Recipe

88 Responses to “Tau Yu Bak (Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce)”

1 2 3 7
  1. Judy — August 16, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

What a coincidence! I just finished cooking this for lunch! I agree it’s a very easy dish to prepare. Mine is even fuss-free! I don’t use all the spices except for one petal of star aniseed and lots of garlic. My hubby doesn’t like the spice flavour. My recipe is my MIL’s, so naturally I have to use hers for her son. :)

• wiffy replied: — August 19th, 2010 @ 3:19 pm

yes, not everyone likes the spices. My mum always add star anise, cinnamon etc to hers so I’m really familiar with this taste :)

2. Little Inbox — August 16, 2010 @ 1:14 pm

My version is a simple one, without star anise and cinnamon, hehe…

3. mochachocolatarita — August 16, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

omgggg i could eat many bowls of rice with this dish! :D

4. Angie's Recipes — August 16, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

Just curious…are you a Hokkien? (I always thought you were a Cantonese. :-))) )
    I ate very often the “tau yu bak” when I still lived in my mum’s house. We call it “豆油肉“. I was the one who usually finished up all the black mushrooms and tendons.

Angie

• wiffy replied: — August 16th, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

Yes I am. Oh I think you’re right, it’s 豆油肉 not 酱油肉… think I translated wrongly. My mandarin cannot make it T_T gonna edit the post, thanks a lot

5. peachkins — August 16, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

Oh my God! These are my favorite things put together!

6. TasteHongKong — August 16, 2010 @ 2:27 pm

That sounds very similar to our 滷水 foods. The name 豆油肉 is new to me, but I think they are equally delicious. I enjoy it very much with rice.

7. lyn — August 16, 2010 @ 3:11 pm

Oh my, my hubs is gonna love you for this :-) This is his absolute favourite dish. I must try out your recipe!

• wiffy replied: — August 19th, 2010 @ 3:19 pm

Hope you and your hub will enjoy this dish :)

8. Jess @ Bakericious — August 16, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

I love this dish, so yummy going with rice :)

9. maameemoomoo — August 16, 2010 @ 6:17 pm

This is definitely one of our family’s staple!

Seeing this making me wanna cook this again (we just had it last week actually!). Will be buying pork belly from the market tomorrow ;)

10. wyyv — August 16, 2010 @ 9:56 pm

OMG! How i wish i could have this for 2morrow night dinner.. It’s just so nice and tasty^^

1 2 3 6

1. Pingback: Eating in, eating out – food updates

2. Pingback: Braised Pork Belly (Tau Yu Bak) « tea with tee

3. Pingback: Braised Pork Belly in Root Beer (Tau Yu Bak)

4. Pingback: NoobCook’s 2010 Picks, Happy 2011!

5. Pingback: Recipes: Tau Yu Bak | The Undomestic Goddess