Sukiyaki (Japanese Beef Hot Pot)
Sukiyaki (Japanese Beef Hot Pot) Recipe
This is an easy one-pot Japanese meal.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 200g thinly sliced beef
- 1 organic raw egg for dipping optional
- 200g napa cabbage sliced
- 100g shungiku (Japanese garland chrysanthemum/locally known as "tang oh")
- 150g seared firm tofu, sliced
- ito konnyaku or shirataki noodles (jelly-like noodles) cooked in boiling water for 2 minutes, then plunged in ice water bath for a few minutes and drained
- 1 stalk negi (Japanese scallion) sliced thinly and diagonally
- 4 shiitake mushrooms stalk removed, then make a 6-star flower cut on the mushroom cap
- enoki mushrooms or hon shimeji ends trimmed
- cooked udon or soba noodles
(A) Sukiyaki Sauce (P.S. I doubled the quantity stated in the original recipe)
- 100ml sake
- 50ml mirin
- 50ml light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Bring the ingredients at (A) to a simmer. Set aside.
- In a wide & shallow sukiyaki pot, add beef and a few tablespoons of sukiyaki sauce. Push the beef to one side. Add the other ingredients and the remaining sukiyaki sauce. Cover with lid and simmer for a few minutes.
- When serving, you may dip the ingredients in raw beaten egg. Add cooked udon or soba noodles at the end to soak up the remaining broth.
Noob Cook Tips
1. Ingredients substitution- Japanese seared tofu: any type of firm tofu; shungiku: any dark leafy greens; ito konnyaku or shirataki noodles: local tang hoon/glass noodles (soak in water before adding at the last step); negi: large spring onions (the type that resembles leeks) or regular spring onions.
2. Do not place ito konnyaku near the beef as the calcium contained in the noodles may make beef tough.