Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe Lady Finger with Sambal Belacan Dip Recipe Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe

Ginger and Scallions Pork

Ginger & Scallions Pork

Check Out: My Mum’s Home-style Chinese Recipes

Note: First posted in Mar 2010, now updated with new photos and improved recipe.

This stir-fry pork in ginger and scallions is one of my favourite childhood home-cooked recipe by my mum. This dish was where I got my training and headstart in eating chilli padi, for my mum would add an insane number of chilli padi into it and it was so choking hot for a child (I think most adults couldn’t handle it either), yet so satisfying. So I owe this dish & my mum for introducing me to the wonderful world of spicy foods.

Ginger & Scallions Pork

According to my mum, this dish is so simple that she could “cook it with her eyes closed” (show off, mummy hehe). But true to her words, this recipe requires very basic seasonings and is really straight forward. If you are looking for a yummy, fast and easy stir fry, this recipe is for you. A secret to this dish is to get the tenderloin cut for the pork. The tenderloin is more premium (it is usually at least double the price of normal cut) and recognisable by its longish cut (because it is located at the spine area). No matter how you cook it, the pork remains tender. My mum told me that women on confinement cook a version of this dish (with more ginger, more sesame oil and some hard liquor) with the tenderloin not because the cut is more nourishing, but because they want to pamper themselves as they are recuperating from childbirth. Luckily, nowadays we don’t have to wait until confinement or any special occasions to enjoy a better cut of meat for the family.

65 Responses to “Ginger and Scallions Pork”

1. daphne — March 19, 2010 @ 8:16 am

Thanks wiffy! because i was having a headache on what to cook next week for dinner- will do this and let u know how i went!!

• wiffy replied: — March 19th, 2010 @ 10:03 am

hope you (and your hubby) like it. yes let me know how it went hehe :D

2. Kee Kerng Cheng — April 24, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

Hey Wiffy

This is definitely one of my favourites dishes too! Yummy but because my hubby not much of a pork eater seldom cook pork dishes. But bought some tenderloin and going to cook this for dinner tonight. My mum and grandma used to cook this way back when I was young. Brings back fond memories very nostalcgic. Thanks again and cheers! Have a nice day and happy cooking this weekend.

Your fan
    Kee

• wiffy replied: — April 24th, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

Hi Kee, thanks for your note! Let me know how it goes. You can try the recipe with chicken next time, sometimes my mum cook it with chicken as well and it’s great.

3. JH — April 7, 2011 @ 9:38 pm

This recipe has helped me a great deal as I’m rather new to cooking. Thanks!

4. teresa — November 6, 2011 @ 9:32 pm

hi, what brand & type of dark soya sauce do u use? thanks :)

• wiffy replied: — November 7th, 2011 @ 10:12 am

Hi I’m using Tai Hua superior dark soy sauce. But you can use any brand, really.

5. shobs — February 21, 2012 @ 12:03 pm

thank you for this recipe! i just had it for lunch and i had to know how to make it. maybe i make it tonight for dinner :-p

6. Kath — June 12, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

Hi wiffy, would u pl consider adding some photos of how to slice pork (and chicken) for stirfrys like this? Would be really helpful for noobcooks like me! Many thanks & I love your blog! ;)

• wiffy replied: — June 12th, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

Sure, I’ll take photos on slicing meat when I have time, thanks for your suggestion.

7. BuzzBee — January 13, 2013 @ 10:57 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe. This is how my mum used to cook this dish and i really missed it ^^.

8. Ada — April 2, 2013 @ 11:38 am

i love your blog, you make cooking look so effortless. :)
    I have been telling my friends that you are my virtual master in cooking. heehee
    i am cooking this dish tonight for dinner, can i add pig liver too? Do i add the liver last so it wont be overcooked?
    thank you for your advice.
    Ada

9. Min — June 6, 2013 @ 5:51 pm

If I were to use chicken , which part of chicken would you recommend to buy from NTUC ?

• Yvonne replied: — October 20th, 2013 @ 4:13 pm

If it were me, I will use boneless chicken thighs. This will keep the tenderness of the meat that was the intent of this recipe, when tenderloin pork was used. Hope it is helpful!

10. Chada — September 9, 2013 @ 8:57 pm

Hi! Love your recipes. You make them so easy to manage! I like to add fresh wood-ear fungus at the last part, with the remaining green part of spring onion. Adds crunch to the texture of this dish.

• wiffy replied: — October 24th, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

great idea, dried woodear will be nice too, especially when I run out of fresh ingredients in the pantry. thanks for sharing.