Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Ginger and Scallions Pork

Ginger & Scallions Pork

Check Out: My Mum’s Home-style Chinese Recipes

Note: First posted in Mar 2010, now updated with new photos and improved recipe.

This stir-fry pork in ginger and scallions is one of my favourite childhood home-cooked recipe by my mum. This dish was where I got my training and headstart in eating chilli padi, for my mum would add an insane number of chilli padi into it and it was so choking hot for a child (I think most adults couldn’t handle it either), yet so satisfying. So I owe this dish & my mum for introducing me to the wonderful world of spicy foods.

Ginger & Scallions Pork

According to my mum, this dish is so simple that she could “cook it with her eyes closed” (show off, mummy hehe). But true to her words, this recipe requires very basic seasonings and is really straight forward. If you are looking for a yummy, fast and easy stir fry, this recipe is for you. A secret to this dish is to get the tenderloin cut for the pork. The tenderloin is more premium (it is usually at least double the price of normal cut) and recognisable by its longish cut (because it is located at the spine area). No matter how you cook it, the pork remains tender. My mum told me that women on confinement cook a version of this dish (with more ginger, more sesame oil and some hard liquor) with the tenderloin not because the cut is more nourishing, but because they want to pamper themselves as they are recuperating from childbirth. Luckily, nowadays we don’t have to wait until confinement or any special occasions to enjoy a better cut of meat for the family.

65 Responses to “Ginger and Scallions Pork”

1 2 3 5
  1. Reiz — March 12, 2010 @ 5:19 pm

My All Time Favourite too! :)

2. tigerfish — March 12, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

I like this dish too – my family does it with chicken sometimes and love it! An old aunt of mine does a wonderful dish of similar out of pig liver and again, I love it. Can’t go wrong with that combi of green onions, ginger, garlic, chili and the sauces. If you do a He Bao Dan (Fried Egg), the gravy will go so well with the rice and egg. Wah, making myself hungry….

• wiffy replied: — March 16th, 2010 @ 9:04 pm

I can tell that you were hungry while you wrote this comment. And I felt hungry after reading your comment lol. Next time I made this, I must have a he bao dan to go with it … hungry! :p

3. Ellena — March 12, 2010 @ 6:01 pm

Wow! Awesome!!! This is one of my favourite dish… I can have two bowl of rice just with this dish because of it’s gravy…. :p

4. MaryMoh — March 12, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

Just what I need for dinner today….mmmm….delicious!

5. Lia Chen — March 12, 2010 @ 6:25 pm

Sometimes the easy recipe and simple cook is the best. I love this recipe because I don’t like to spend so much time in the kitchen :p Love the tenderloin part. Can I say that that part is more juicy? Another great cooking from you

• wiffy replied: — March 16th, 2010 @ 9:05 pm

Thanks Lia Chen! Juicy I don’t know, but tender definitely hehe

6. Angie@Angie's Recipes — March 12, 2010 @ 8:24 pm

I love this simple dish……I cooked the chicken the same way…so yummy!

7. peachkins — March 12, 2010 @ 8:44 pm

I can almost taste this dish! Homecooked meals are the best!

8. The Little Teochew — March 12, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

Yah boy, I had this quite a lot during confinement. No chilli, but extra ginger and cognac. It’s a really nice dish. Your mom is so cute, can do with her eyes closed. Did you show her your photos? I’m sure she would be proud. :)

• wiffy replied: — March 16th, 2010 @ 9:06 pm

she didn’t know I have a food blog :P she’s always asking me not to cook lol

9. jo — March 12, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

I think we have been brought up pretty similar cause it’s my mum’s recipe as well. I’ve had my fair share of this dish when growing up. Miss it cause my other half is not much of a pork person.

• wiffy replied: — March 16th, 2010 @ 9:07 pm

You can still cook this dish with chicken instead of pork :)

10. Nasi Lemak Lover — March 12, 2010 @ 10:03 pm

For this dish, I want to add one more bowl of rice, yummy!

1 2 3 5