Tuna Pasta Recipe Dijon Honey Chicken Wings Recipe Beef Claypot Rice Recipe How to Make Grated Ginger Juice Ginger Grater Singapore Char Kway Teow Recipe

Claypot Liver with Ginger & Spring Onions

Claypot Liver

Check Out: Chinese Pork Liver Soup Recipe

Note: This recipe was first posted in Nov 2007, now updated with new photos and cooking tips.

Chinese-style Liver with Ginger & Spring Onions (煲仔姜葱猪肝), usually served in a claypot, is one of my favorite Chinese dishes. It is definitely much cheaper to cook this dish at home instead of eating at restaurants, which is not only pricey but sometimes the liver turns out over-cooked. Liver is said to be beneficial to ladies especially after that time of the month. Check out the following cooking tips for cooking deliciously tender liver.

Ginger & Scallions Liver

Tips for stir-frying liver

1. Get the freshest pig’s liver money can buy (usually at the wet market) and preferably cook them on the same day. I thank my sis Amy for gifting me freshest-ever liver from her supplier friend. She delivered them to me the minute they were air-frown from US.
  2. Use lots of ginger and spring onions as they compliment & counter the strong smell of the liver.
  3. Do not overcook the liver as they will turn hard & chewy instead of soft & tender. Perfectly cooked liver should be mostly cooked on the surface, but slightly pink when you bite into it.
  4. If  you do not like the lingering smell of raw liver on your hands, wear disposable plastic gloves when slicing the liver.
  5. For best results, cook and serve this dish in a claypot though it is perfectly fine to cook this dish in a regular wok or pan.

22 Responses to “Claypot Liver with Ginger & Spring Onions”

1. didally — November 23, 2007 @ 11:27 pm

I like your version with addition of spring onions and onions. I shld try out your version. Mine is just simply stir fry with ginger and dark soy sauce.

2. Felicia — May 13, 2008 @ 4:03 pm

I really love coming your websites and so does my students… Just a suggestion. You can try Marinate and stir-fry those liver with Light soya sauce and sesame oil instead of using olive or normal cooking oil it taste so much better!

Ginger can be use instead of spring onion too!

Love
    F3L

3. wiffy — May 14, 2008 @ 10:39 am

Hi Felicia, thanks! I did use light soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger as described in the recipe, & I agree they are very important ingredients in this dish :)

4. [eatingclub vancouver] js — June 19, 2008 @ 1:39 am

Love liver and onions. Kudos for featuring a liver dish.

5. Andrea — September 23, 2008 @ 6:37 am

This looks so good! I’ve never really gotten in to stir-frys, but it looks like the time has come!

6. tigerfish — August 7, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

How come I cannot get pig liver in the US but you can get US pig liver in Sg? Wah!
    I usually have chicken liver instead.
    When I was much younger, my family does a similar stir-fry liver dish and usually top with a sunny-side up (that has runny yolk). It was deliciously satisfying!

• wiffy replied: — August 7th, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

really! maybe they are for export-only. I don’t dare to eat chicken liver!

• Pepy | Indonesia Eats replied: — August 11th, 2012 @ 9:12 am

Tigerfish, try to dig more into Asian markets. In Canada, pig livers are available fresh at Asian markets thou I don’t eat pork I still see around :D

• tigerfish replied: — August 15th, 2012 @ 5:03 am

Thanks Pepy! Sometimes I do see pig livers in Asian markets but they don’t look fresh :O ..so I go for organic chicken livers instead. Thanks for the tip!

7. Sonia — August 7, 2012 @ 3:46 pm

an old-fashioned of home cooked dish, yummy!

8. elaine — August 7, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

I do love pig’s liver and we used to eat a lot several years ago.My mother said that it is benificial to clear the human being’s liver. Haha. But now we do not eat it at all unless the pig is raised by friends or relatives.

9. Ann@Anncoo Journal — August 7, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

I love to cook liver in claypot too. It is very easy to cook and ready in a couple of minutes.

10. Angie@Angie's Recipes — August 7, 2012 @ 6:37 pm

Very nutritious and flavourful!

1. Pingback: recipes » Blog Archive » Stir Fry Liver with Spring Onions & Ginger

2. Pingback: Home-Cooked Bak Kut Teh | NoobCook.com