Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Stir-fried Leeks with Vegetables

Stir-fry Chinese Leeks Recipe

Chinese love to eat leeks during Chinese New Year (commonly on the eve and 7th day) because of its Chinese name – 蒜苗/大蒜 (Suan Miao/Da Suan), where “蒜” sounds like calculating (“算”) in Mandarin. Due to the similar sounds, it is believed that eating leeks is an auspicious symbol of wealth (lots of money to count) in the coming year. Although I never believe in any of the auspicious food symbolism, I think it’s fun to cook and eat festively. Here is a meatless recipe for leeks, stir-fried in taucheo (soy bean paste) with vegetables like mushrooms, baby corn and carrots.

You May Also Like: Stir-fried Leeks with Roasted Meat

I’ve used leeks for western cooking (such as in the classic potato and leek soup and chicken pot pie) but in Chinese cooking, it’s pretty common to see them in stir fries.

Stir-fry Chinese Leeks Recipe

21 Responses to “Stir-fried Leeks with Vegetables”

1. Lia Chen — January 29, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

My mom always said that leeks is good to cure cold, I love to have them but my kids always say no hehehe … This dish looks so simple but very nutritious!

2. wyyv — January 30, 2011 @ 12:42 am

Healthy dish you had there :)

3. Pei-Lin — January 30, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

Yup, this is my kinda dish. I love leek in stir-fries so much! I love using it in both Eastern and Western dishes, even though the veggie is kinda Western by nature. LOL!

4. Jane — January 30, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

From the photo, it looks very appetizing!
    This morning, I went to Giant and NTUC. I saw many people buying leeks. Now I know why. Thanks Wiffy, for the cultural explanation. It makes the recipes more interesting!

5. Tastes of Home (Jen) — January 30, 2011 @ 8:52 pm

Growing up, I always thought leeks were too ‘grassy’ both in texture and smell but I have gradually just started appreciating this vegetable. This is def. an auspicious dish hehe Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family!

6. Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — January 30, 2011 @ 9:00 pm

Mmm thanks for posting an Asian-style leek recipe. I usually only buy them for soup recipes.

• blubeegan replied: — February 28th, 2014 @ 1:18 am

thanks for sharing this recipe. It’s an interesting take on an Asian staple dish. I love the additional colors and flavors that you added to this dish.

7. norma — February 14, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

Just what the doctor prescribed after my meat vacation…

8. ahchai — September 4, 2012 @ 10:28 am

Hi, I noticed that your leek stir fry with mushroom recipes is just cutting the leek diagonal method, so in this case how to wash the dirt that trap inside the leek ? So the method suggested to wash the leeks is not applicable here : 1. Wash the crevices between the leaves thoroughly, as there is soil trapped in between the leaves. One way to clean them is to slice them half lengthwise, and after washing thoroughly, pat dry with kitchen paper towels and cut accordingly.

Can you advise on how to wash to leeks if diagonal cut ? Thank you

• wiffy replied: — September 5th, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

Cut to half and trim the ends. You should be able to gently pry the exposed areas to wash. Then slice diagonally accordingly.