Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe Lady Finger with Sambal Belacan Dip Recipe Summer Rolls Recipe Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin Bowl Recipe

Stir-fried Cabbage

Stir-Fry Cabbage

Check Out: Cabbage with Eggs Recipe

I have strangely avoided stir-fried cabbage (炒高丽菜) my whole life, only to fall in love with it recently after eating a very delicious version at a zichar stall. Cabbage (the round one which is also called Beijing cabbage/高丽菜; not to be confused with the longish cabbage aka napa cabbage), like chayote, keeps well in the fridge, so nowadays I like to sneak it into my weekly groceries and cook them towards the end of the week. I added shiitake mushrooms, spring onions and carrots to my stir-fry cabbage, as I have these ingredients in my fridge at all times. Cabbage, when cooked right (not too raw and not overcooked) has a natural sweetness and mild crunch. It is a really healthy and delicious side-dish to complement any Chinese home-cooked meal. If you have chicken or vegetable stock, you can use it in place of the seasonings for a quicker and even more fuss-free cooking.

Stir-Fry Cabbage

15 Responses to “Stir-fried Cabbage”

1. daphne — September 10, 2012 @ 5:02 pm

I am such a fan of this easy stir fry. It’s cheap and delicious. I hv to remember to add dried shrimps more often!

2. ju — September 10, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

R u using happycall saucepan? Recognize the lid in the photo.

• wiffy replied: — September 10th, 2012 @ 11:13 pm

Yup I am using the 28cm happy call wokpan :)

3. tigerfish — September 11, 2012 @ 12:24 am

Did not know you don’t really fancy cabbage. I thought you may have eaten a lot of 高丽菜 – Ko Lay Chai dishes in Taiwan and developed a liking for it. :P

I like cabbage quite a lot – not raw ones though. Raw cabbage to me is like raw bean sprouts – smells and taste pungent. But when cooked right, can be tasty. It is my favorite veg to add to stir-fry noodles.

• wiffy replied: — September 11th, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

Yes I took a fancy of 高丽菜 in Taiwan! I think I had mistaken cabbage taste for beansprouts in the past. I ate a lot of overcooked cabbage before and they taste like overcooked beansprouts – mushy with a “rotten smell” … just eeks!

4. Little Inbox — September 12, 2012 @ 9:03 am

Simply delicious! I used a lot of cabbage in soup, noodle stir-fry and vegetables stir-fry.

5. Chris — September 12, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

I like this … another simple and good home-cooked dish.

6. LCOM — September 14, 2012 @ 12:16 am

Easy and delicious!

7. Juliana — September 14, 2012 @ 1:56 am

Looks delicious this stir-fired cabbage, like the simplicity and yet so flavorful with the dried shrimps and the shiitake mushrooms…yum! Like you because stay well in the fridge, I often have it around :)
    Hope you are having a great week!

8. Michelle — September 14, 2012 @ 2:20 pm

Hi Wiffy,
    Am glad you now like cabbage cos I love it! It’s my all time fav due to it’s crunch n sweetness. I love to add tanghoon to absorb the naturally sweet gravy. At other times, I add black fungus or a small pkt of sliced Sichuan veg. Look forward to more yummy recipes fm u!
    Michelle

9. markus — September 17, 2012 @ 11:35 pm

This looks yummy and easy. Thanks for sharing.

10. MaryMoh — September 20, 2012 @ 3:40 am

That looks delicious and healthy. I can eat that a few times a week.