Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe Lady Finger with Sambal Belacan Dip Recipe Summer Rolls Recipe

Ginger and Scallions Beef

Ginger Scallions Beef Recipe

Check Out: Black Pepper Beef Recipe

Ginger and Scallions Beef (姜葱牛肉) is a quick and satisfying stir fry. Beef cooks quickly so the actual cooking is only about 10 minutes. The secret to making the beef slices tender in a stir fry like this is brisk cooking, buying a good cut (such as tenderloin) … and baking soda! Yes, baking soda can be used as a natural meat tenderizer and this extra step makes a world of difference to the texture of the cooked beef. I bought ready-sliced beef from my supermarket which takes away most of the effort of preparing this dish. I like to whip this up when I don’t have much time to cook dinner (half hour to cook one rice, one meat dish and one vegetable dish).

Ginger & Scallions

29 Responses to “Ginger and Scallions Beef”

1. shariffah — June 17, 2013 @ 4:39 pm

Hi….
    Is there anything else that goes the same taste as the chinese wine?

• wiffy replied: — June 19th, 2013 @ 9:08 pm

you don’t need to substitute. Trust me :)

• Zal replied: — September 4th, 2013 @ 9:18 am

Judging by shariffah’s name, my guess is she is Muslim, as I am. We don’t consume alcohol. So is there really an alternative to the Chinese wine ingredient? Thanks!

• wiffy replied: — September 4th, 2013 @ 12:37 pm

There is really no need to substitute the wine taste which is subtle and for those who grew up being familiar with the taste in their stir-fries. I know not all Chinese families add Chinese wine to their cooking. So it is fine to omit it, will not break the taste of the dish.

2. Gwen — January 28, 2014 @ 10:20 am

Hihi, Im a novice trying to learn cooking :) May i know why is there a need to coat the beef with soda powder 1st & how long should i leave the beef marinated b4 i cooked them?

• wiffy replied: — January 28th, 2014 @ 11:57 am

It’s for tenderizing the meat. It’s up to you depending on how much time you have, I would marinade it for at least 30 minutes or a few hours in the fridge.