Fermented Bean Curd (Nam Yee) Chicken Wings Recipe MyKuali White Curry Noodles Easy Waffles Recipe Samyang Fried Chicken Ramyun Air-fried Vegetarian Zai Er Recipe Ipoh Hor Fun Recipe

Ginger and Scallions Beef

Ginger Scallions Beef Recipe

Check Out: Black Pepper Beef Recipe

Ginger and Scallions Beef (姜葱牛肉) is a quick and satisfying stir fry. Beef cooks quickly so the actual cooking is only about 10 minutes. The secret to making the beef slices tender in a stir fry like this is brisk cooking, buying a good cut (such as tenderloin) … and baking soda! Yes, baking soda can be used as a natural meat tenderizer and this extra step makes a world of difference to the texture of the cooked beef. I bought ready-sliced beef from my supermarket which takes away most of the effort of preparing this dish. I like to whip this up when I don’t have much time to cook dinner (half hour to cook one rice, one meat dish and one vegetable dish).

Ginger & Scallions

28 Responses to “Ginger and Scallions Beef”

1. AikoVenus — July 20, 2011 @ 1:17 am

I don’t eat beef but this is a beautiful picture. ^^

2. mycookinghut — July 20, 2011 @ 2:03 am

Such a delightful dish!

3. masterofboots — July 20, 2011 @ 11:04 am

Baking soda! That’s a secret ingredient i didn’t know. Thanks. of course one of the trickiest thing about beef is it toughens up so easily, at least when i try cooking it :P it’s such a pity because beef is expensive

4. This is a great recipe when these simple ingredients turn into a delicious dish, esp in Switzerland we cannot get hold of exotic cooking ingredients. You have made a great suggestion to my dinner plan : )

5. pigpigscorner — July 25, 2011 @ 8:57 pm

One of my favourites! Simple and delicious!

6. Maria faria — July 26, 2011 @ 6:56 am

humm… looks good!! fantastic recipe!
    Good job!!

7. Jonie — July 26, 2011 @ 9:25 pm

I’ve heard of using baking soda to tender the meat but didn’t try till now. The meat is indeed so much tender but I think I added too much of baking soda or probably marinate it for too long (2 hrs in the fridge) that the meat becomes tasteless. I did wash away the baking soda and then marinate the meat (about half hour) with light and dark soya sauce.

Qs: is it necessary to wash away the baking soda or it is actually safe to consume?

Thanks.

• wiffy replied: — July 26th, 2011 @ 9:42 pm

wah 2 hours… I think 15-20 mins will be enough. The baking soda is definitely safe to consume, but may not be very nice to taste, so I personally think it’s better to wash it off :)

8. Rin — August 16, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

Ooh so simple and tasty looking! I’ll definitely try this soon! :) I had no idea about the baking soda! I always had trouble keeping the beef tender without being too undercooked.

9. Ash — September 18, 2011 @ 1:47 am

Just tried this recipe and it’s yummy! Thanks

10. Lilballerina — January 12, 2012 @ 3:16 am

Hi, I tried this n it was awesome! But I didn’t get as much sauce as u did in the picture.. Any advice?