Steamed Tofu with Pumpkin, Prawns & Ebikko
If you are thinking how suspiciously similar this dish looks to my pumpkin chawanmushi … you are right! =x I made both on the same day. The ingredients are actually leftover from making the chawanmushi, I saw a piece of tofu in the fridge so I thought of making this. Tofu is soft so it is chew friendly post my wisdom tooth surgery.
- a piece of beancurd (200g-300g) [Note: You can use Japanese tofu, or those that are ideal for "cold dish" or "steaming"]
- 30g uncooked pumpkin flesh
- 3 Kamaboko fish cake slices
- 1 large prawn, shells and veins removed
- 3 tbsp water/stock
- 1/4 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- a bit of ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
For garnishing (optional)
- chopped spring onions
1. Blend the pumpkin until smooth using a blender/mini chopper.
2. Place the fish cake slices on the tofu, place blended pumpkin on top of fish cake slices, add the prawn on top, and steam over high heat for 5 minutes. Drain away the liquid from steaming beancurd.
3. Bring ingredients for sauce to a boil. Pour over the cooked tofu. Garnish with ebikko and chopped spring onions.
For Wordless Wednesday.
Not entirely wordless, but it’s a pretty simple & short recipe ;p