Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe Red Glutinous Wine Lees

Steamed Prawns with Garlic

Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe

Check Out: Beer-steamed Prawns Recipe

Steamed Prawns with Garlic is a really simple dish, and it costs much less to make it at home. As you know, restaurants always charge a premium for seafood dishes. The prawns cook really fast (the actual steaming time is 5 minutes or less) and they go well with garlic. Try to use bigger prawns because it’s easier to butterfly them and to stuff the garlic mixture into the cavity. If you like garlic and prawns like I do, you will like this recipe. If you find that garlic is too sharp or spicy for your liking, you can reduce the amount of chopped garlic used. I use a lot because I love garlic.

Printable Recipe
Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe Line the bottom of a deep plate with some ginger slices and spring onions (scallions) stalks.
Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe Trim the feelers off the prawns. Butterfly the prawns by making a top slit across the back of the prawns, removing the veins, and cutting a little deeper to make a cavity. Be careful not to cut too deep or you will half the prawns instead. Arrange butterflied prawns on top of the ginger and scallions and drizzle Chinese wine over the prawns cavity.
Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe In a small bowl, mix chopped garlic, soy sauce, white pepper, sesame oil and Chinese wine. Fill the prawns cavity with the garlic mixture.
Steamed Prawns with Garlic Recipe When the water in the steamer is boiling, place the plate on the steaming rack. Steam over high heat until the prawns are cooked (just a few minutes).

53 Responses to “Steamed Prawns with Garlic”

1. Jess @ Bakericious — July 17, 2010 @ 9:00 am

Wiffy, the prawns look so fresh, yummy!

2. Trissa — July 17, 2010 @ 10:50 pm

Wow! I can’t believe you made this at home. Totally restaurant quality. I can’t wait to try it!

3. LazyCooking — July 18, 2010 @ 1:26 am

hi there,
    me again with my 2cents’ worth 2 share again…

i will normally fry the garlic & ginger with oil then add in the seasoning & fry til fragrant then dish & leave it cool…
    once cool off then spread this “fried-garlic sauce” into the ‘butterfly prawns’ & steam for 4-5mins… may taste differently… …

just sharing…

• wiffy replied: — July 22nd, 2010 @ 1:14 pm

Hi I like the sound of the fried garlic sauce, it’s a totally new taste from mine. I’ll try it one day, thanks for sharing :)

• milkcandies replied: — January 16th, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

I love the steamed bamboo clams with garlic at Sin Hoi San and they do fry the garlic too which adds more fragrance. I was just looking through the comments to see if anyone fries the garlic too and am delighted to see this. I wonder if it would work if I just fry the garlic and top it on the prawn and the mixture separately?

4. Wizzythestick — July 18, 2010 @ 9:59 am

Oh my this looks fantastic. Yes please!

5. jo — July 18, 2010 @ 5:47 pm

Absolutely delicious and I am so drooling now .. and it’s getting to dinner time too! This is as good as what I’ll order in a restaurant .. even better cause it’s whopping packed with garlic. Yum!

6. lisaiscooking — July 18, 2010 @ 11:32 pm

Those big prawns look fantastic, and the garlic and ginger sound delicious with them!

7. food-4tots — July 19, 2010 @ 12:47 am

I also prefer to cook prawns at home as it is more economical. Love your step-by-step photos! Your recipe is very inspiring as always! ;)

8. Elena Iskandar — July 19, 2010 @ 12:49 pm

whats a good substitute for chinese wine? I can use any alcohold in my dishers :(

• wiffy replied: — July 20th, 2010 @ 9:53 am

Hi I think you can omit the Chinese wine, no need to substitute :)

9. The Sudden Cook — July 19, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

Prawns are my absolute fave. Simple prep – I like!

10. Juliana — July 20, 2010 @ 5:05 am

Oh! I love prawns, and this is one of my favorite way to have them…love with lots and lots of garlic…yummie and the pictures are awesome :-)