Shaoxing (Hua Tiao) Wine Baby Spinach Ramen Eggs Recipe Cabbage Rice Recipe Scrambled Eggs with Cheese and Hotdog Recipe Acar Recipe

Steamed Mussels in Chinese Wine

Steamed Mussels in Chinese Wine Recipe

First posted in Oct 2009, Updated in Jan 2015.

Mussels steamed in Chinese wine is a quick and easy dish to whip up at home. I bought 500 grams mussels at the supermarket for only S$1 during a quick sale. Normally they will cost about S$2+ which is still inexpensive.

See Also:

The cooking method is really easy. Just stir fry some aromatics such as shallots and ginger in a wok, then add the cleaned mussels and Chinese wine to steam until the shells are opened. This is so easy, that I almost never order mussels or shell fish when I eat out, as eateries usually charge a premium for seafood. Try it out!

52 Responses to “Steamed Mussels in Chinese Wine”

1. Janet @Gourmet Traveller88 — October 7, 2009 @ 11:57 pm

I like mussels too, glad to learn making in Chinese way! Thanks for sharing!

• wiffy replied: — October 9th, 2009 @ 4:02 am

I think the Chinese way (or at least my way) is the easy way out. No need to add coconut milk, expensive herbs or cream ;)

2. tigerfish — October 8, 2009 @ 4:44 am

so cheap! are they fresh? I prefer clams to mussels…but when there are good mussels, they never go pass me too :D

• wiffy replied: — October 9th, 2009 @ 3:56 am

I like clams too. In fact all kinds of shell fish. I think the ones I bought are quite fresh because all of them opened!

3. Little Inbox — October 8, 2009 @ 8:52 am

I don’t like mussels, but I love to sip the broth. :P

• wiffy replied: — October 9th, 2009 @ 3:56 am

Yes, funnily, the broth is my fave part too :P that’s why I try to scrub the shells cleanly :wink:

4. woollycroak — October 8, 2009 @ 1:40 pm

Which supermarket you go to? I don’t remember it is that cheap!

• wiffy replied: — October 9th, 2009 @ 3:57 am

humble NTUC! I’ve seen similar cheap mussels at shop n save, and cold storage as well. :-)

• woollycroak replied: — October 12th, 2009 @ 11:51 am

I went during the weekend and bought 7 mussels for 2.26 dollars at AMK NTUC. Which NTUC branch you go to?

• wiffy replied: — October 12th, 2009 @ 4:02 pm

seven?! what type you buy? Maybe it’s a better/bigger grade of mussels? Is it black/green like what you see in the photo as well? I bought mine at NTUC white sands. But I saw similar price (maybe slightly more expensive) at Taka’s cold storage!

5. food-4tots — October 8, 2009 @ 1:48 pm

I am also eyeing for fresh mussels in the supermarket but still haven’t found a good bargain like yours. You are really a great shopper. They go well with pasta too. ;)

• wiffy replied: — October 9th, 2009 @ 3:58 am

For the past few weeks, this has been the prices I see. I bet you can even find a better deal at the market ;) Yeah, I like to get the smaller “lala” clams for making vongole too :)

6. Alice — October 8, 2009 @ 5:14 pm

Look at those mussels… so fresh, juicy and delicious! I bet it must be very satisfying just to savor with it.

7. skinnymum — October 8, 2009 @ 6:06 pm

i loooove mussels!! nice shot, and i am sure yummy too. to me you are a genius. absolutely no idea how to handle mussels, let alone cook them ….

• wiffy replied: — October 9th, 2009 @ 3:59 am

I think the difficulty level of this dish is more “noob” (beginner) than “genius” which suit my level of competency in the kitchen … lol

8. Gera @ SweetsFoods — October 9, 2009 @ 5:59 am

Cheap, quick and a delicious recipe of mussels…I’d like to try it with mirin :)

Cheers!

Gera

• wiffy replied: — October 12th, 2009 @ 11:22 pm

sounds good, I think it’ll be nice to add some sake too if you have it ;)

9. HoppingHammy — October 9, 2009 @ 9:32 am

Those mussels are so colorful and green!! Lovely photo!

10. petite nyonya — October 9, 2009 @ 2:52 pm

This is a lovely mussel dish with all its natural flavor intact! I haven’t bought mussels here before. Never knew they are THAT cheap!! Hokay…next week I shall go buy some at NTUC.