Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review) Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe

Taucheo Flower Crabs

Taucheo Flower Crabs

Check Out: Mum’s Recipes

Steamed flower crabs in taucheo chilli is one of many of my mum’s signature dishes. The taucheo (soya bean paste) chilli sauce is so easy to make with only three ingredients (taucheo, chilli padi and garlic). It is also very versatile and can be used in many other stir-fry dishes such as with pork or yong tau foo. I like to drizzle the spicy and savoury sauce over my rice. Flower crabs are used and not only are they cheap locally, they are quite meaty too.

Printable Recipe
Steamed Taucheo Flower Crabs (Step-by-Step)
Cooking Taucheo Flower Crabs Remove the crab shell and cut it in two along the center. Remove and discard the spongy gills.
Cooking Taucheo Flower Crabs Using an electric blender, grind the garlic and chilli until finely chopped.
Cooking Taucheo Flower Crabs Add in taucheo and blend until a paste is formed.
Cooking Taucheo Flower Crabs Heat oil in wok, and stir fry taucheo paste until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Cooking Taucheo Flower Crabs Add flower crab pieces to the wok and stir fry briefly to coat them in the taucheo sauce.
Cooking Taucheo Flower Crabs Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover the wok with lid and let the crabs steam for about 15 minutes. If the water dries up at any time during steaming, add more water. When the crab is cooked, you can also stir in a beaten egg to mix in with the sauce.

16 Responses to “Taucheo Flower Crabs”

1. Judy — November 22, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

Flower crab is a good choice. Its meat is sweeter than other crabs. Taucheo crab is very reminiscent of my mum’s and mum/law dish! Must cook this one day!

2. tigerfish — November 22, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

Did I see crab roe? Yummy! Here, I only cook one type of crab (Dungeness) one way (Steamed !). Best way to taste fresh sweetness and umami!

• wiffy replied: — November 24th, 2011 @ 10:37 am

crab roe is my favourite, high cholesterol and all :x aiyah the crabs in your area is super fresh!

3. mycookinghut — November 23, 2011 @ 12:08 am

I love flower crabs! Feed me anytime with these yummy crabs!

4. Little Corner of Mine — November 23, 2011 @ 4:04 am

I got to admit, I never have it cook in taucheo before. Looks good!

5. daphne — November 23, 2011 @ 7:28 am

I have the same fear for crabs too! You make it look easy.

6. Erik — November 23, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

Looks like e real tasty crab dish. Going to give it a try soon…

7. mochachocolatarita — November 24, 2011 @ 11:23 am

ohhh this must be so good!!!! let me try this with fish :D (sc wont wrestle with crab shell…)

8. Lia Chen — November 24, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

Hi Wiffy! I can even smells this yummy dish hehehe … Miss a lot your delicious posts! Sorry for not visiting your blog lately. Have been tied up with all the kids stuffs :)

9. Nasi Lemak Lover — November 24, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

i know this is yummy, whenever i spot fresh crab in wet market, i sure buy some..Thanks for sharing.

10. Gwen — November 26, 2011 @ 12:41 am

Hi wiffy,
    I tried this recipe a few days ago and it tasted pretty good – savory, spicy – though the ingredients were simple and fuss-free. Only thing is, the crab meat were abit mushy. Would you have any inkling why?

Thanks,