Taucheo Flower Crabs
Filed Under: Asian Recipes Chinese Recipes Fish & Seafood Hot & Spicy Mum's Recipes Recipes Steaming Step-by-Step Recipes
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
- 3 to 4 flower crabs (花蟹)
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 4 chilli padi to taste
- 1 tbsp taucheo (soy bean paste/ 豆酱)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 500ml water
- 1 egg beaten (optional)
- Remove the crab shell and cut it in two along the center. Remove and discard the spongy gills.
- To make the tacheo chilli paste, use an electric blender to grind the garlic and chilli until finely chopped. Add in taucheo and blend until a paste is formed. Alternatively, use a mortar and pestle.
- Heat oil in wok, and stir fry taucheo paste prepared until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add flower crab pieces to the wok and stir fry briefly to coat them in the taucheo sauce.
- Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover the wok with lid and let the crabs steam for about 15 minutes. If the water dries up at any time during steaming, add more water. When the crab is cooked, stir in a beaten egg to mix in with the sauce.