Steamed 3 eggs with pork recipe Shrimp & Egg Fried Rice Recipe Stir-fry Lotus Root Recipe Mala Xiang Guo (Sichuan Spicy Numbing Stir-fry) Recipe Mala Xiang Guo Ingredients Hai Di Lao Mala Sauce

Chinese Steamed Egg with Minced Pork

Steamed Egg with Pork Recipe

First posted in Jul 2009, updated in Jan 2015

This Chinese-style steamed egg with minced pork (猪肉蒸蛋), also frequently known as Chinese steamed eggs or 蒸水蛋, is a family favourite dish. We love everyday dishes (家常菜) like this – unpretentious, comforting and so delicious with rice or porridge.

See Also:

Steamed 3 Eggs (Three Colour Egg) Recipe

Many readers have commented that the most challenging part of making steamed eggs is that the cooked egg mixture either look dry, or form unsightly bubbles on the surface. Check out the cooking tips below to get a smooth and silky finish for your steamed eggs.

Steamed Egg with Pork Recipe

Tips for making Chinese savoury steamed egg dishes

1. Strain the egg mixture through a fine sieve 1-3 times to get a smooth texture.
  2. Use heat-safe (ceramic or oven) dish for steaming the egg custard. Plastic material will melt during steaming.
  3. Use a wide, shallow dish for steaming so that the egg and meat will be evenly distributed and cooked.
  4. If you happen to be cooking Chinese soups (clear soup such as ABC soup), you can use some of the soup as the base stock for the egg custard. You can also instant chicken stock or plain water (seasoned with soy sauce).
  5. When steaming the egg custard, make sure the dish is sealed with foil, so that water from the steamer cover will not fall on the custard during steaming and cause unsightly bubbles.

59 Responses to “Chinese Steamed Egg with Minced Pork”

1. maimai — June 15, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

looks yummy…gunna try this tonyt….

2. anterina — August 15, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

Nice recipe! Will try it this week!
    Btw, will be ok if I just put the minced pork to steam with the egg without stir frying the minced pork?

• wiffy replied: — August 22nd, 2012 @ 10:42 am

Yes it be ok. Steam the pork first, after 5 minutes carefully discard the water collected, then top with egg mixture and continue steaming. I do that sometimes.

3. Kris — December 1, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

I love this dish, one of the only few I get to “inherit” from my mum.
    When I am craving for some seafood, I will cut squids into slices (like calamari) and stuff the minced pork into the rings (lay them flat on the plate) and steam :)

4. lauahpek — December 2, 2012 @ 10:40 pm

Am in London, looking for a girl to cook it
    for me here…healthy dish… like wonton too but
    not the preparation bit as too cumbersome.

Hope someone reading this can help.

5. Chinsiew — January 17, 2013 @ 10:50 pm

Hello :) can I use sherry cooking wine instead of Chinese cooking wine? Hehe noobie here^^

6. Raymond Chan — January 26, 2013 @ 3:57 am

I was looking to cook some Chinese dishes when I came across your website. I was impressed and wanted to cook Chinese again since I’m retired. I haven’t cook it for over 30 years while I was working to support a wife and 5 kids through college.

7. Boon — October 24, 2013 @ 7:38 pm

Thank you! Now I know why my steamed egg is always full of holes like orange peel! Tried tonight but wrapped my steamer lid with a large dish cloth from Ikea, knotting it at the lid knob. Wow! It was finally smooth because the cloth absorbed the steam, preventing water droplets from falling back into the egg mixture. A million thanks!

8. Tristan Ling — May 23, 2015 @ 8:36 pm

This is a nice dish, and your method is so easy and good to do it. Cheers

9. lythea — October 22, 2015 @ 9:57 am

Hi, my husband loves your recipe and I’ve cooked it a few times. Only thing I’ve noticed is that there seems to be a lot of water gathered at the top after steaming which makes it look uncooked. I’m wondering how should I steam it so that it is drier and not as watery? Or if that is actually quite normal? I steam without putting the cling wrap on.

• wiffy replied: — October 23rd, 2015 @ 9:28 am

You can try
      1) steam the pork for 5 minutes, discard the water rendered from steaming the pork. pour egg custard over and continue to steam or
      2) put cling wrap or try the tip shared by Boon (two comments up). Hope this helps!