Som Tam (Papaya Salad) Recipe Cincalok Egg Recipe Sambal Okra Stir-fry Recipe Beef Bulgogi Recipe Multigrain Rice Recipe Ssamjang Recipe

Steamed Chicken Rice

Steamed Chicken Rice
My home-cooked Chicken rice – complete with condiments (chilli sauce, ginger sauce) and herbal (dang gui) chicken soup.

This is my take on perhaps Singapore’s most popular food, the Hainanese chicken rice. I think Hainanese chicken rice is arguably our most famous national dish. My way of preparing chicken rice is “almost Hainanese”, because the method of preparing the chicken is not quite Hainanese way of dipping in hot water to gently cook the chicken, or the more Singaporean way of boiling the chicken. Instead, I steamed the chicken, which is how my mum prepares her chicken rice. This method is easy, and yet it still retains the juiciness of the chicken. Somehow, the taste is close.

Steamed Chicken Rice
Steamed Chicken Rice

Get the printable recipe for Steamed Chicken Rice on page 2.

66 Responses to “Steamed Chicken Rice”

1 2 3 5
  1. Marc @ NoRecipes — July 28, 2009 @ 11:30 pm

Now you have me craving Hainanese chicken rice. Will have to head up to Chinatown for lunch.

• wiffy replied: — July 29th, 2009 @ 8:35 am

haha, hope you had satisfied your craving :D

2. This is so yummmy! I always love Hainan chicken. The best ones are really in Singapore. I still remember that place I visited behind Raffle Hotel. Your dips are already so authentic : )

• wiffy replied: — July 29th, 2009 @ 8:36 am

I heard that the Singapore versions are even better than the “original” ones from Hainan. Next time, try the ones at hawkers … I think they are as good as the hotels one :wink:

3. Ching — July 29, 2009 @ 12:53 am

Oh yummy! I especially like the chicken rice condiments, so good with the steamed chicken, can’t do without.

• wiffy replied: — July 29th, 2009 @ 8:36 am

Me too! no chicken rice will be complete without the condiments.

4. Bob — July 29, 2009 @ 4:41 am

Nice. Looks like my kind of thing, although probably not in this hot weather. Heh. Whats a kampong chicken?

• wiffy replied: — July 29th, 2009 @ 8:38 am

“Kampong” is the malay word for “village”. It sort of meant that the chicken has been allowed to roam around the village, or better understood in western terms as “free range chicken”. However, it is believed that the ones sold at our supermarkets aren’t free ranged, they are just the same species as free range chickens :( it’s so darn hard to get free range or organic stuff in Singapore. Anyhow, Kampong chickens are usually much smaller in size and juicier, just nice if cooking for only a few people. :up:

5. pigpigscorner — July 29, 2009 @ 4:50 am

Looks really pro! I would agree that steaming is much easier.

6. skinnymum — July 29, 2009 @ 5:43 am

wow…. a complete chicken rice feast, complete with condiments and sauces, plus soup. i take my hats off you my friend! your chicken the steam way looks so much better to me , not oily like those at the shops.

• wiffy replied: — July 29th, 2009 @ 8:39 am

thanks! yeah, somehow, steaming the chicken has its uniqueness which I like as well!

7. Big Boys Oven — July 29, 2009 @ 7:51 am

hahahhha almost? I think it is damn perfect :)!

8. Little Inbox — July 29, 2009 @ 8:03 am

Normally I just prepare one sauce which consists of red chili, bird’s eye chili, garlic, ginger, lime juice, sugar and light soy sauce. Yours look yummy!

9. ladyhomechef — July 29, 2009 @ 10:06 am

nicely done! I used to cook this way too, from my mum’s recipe. Tried and tested absolutely!

10. Selba — July 29, 2009 @ 10:45 am

So delicious… I’m craving now!

1 2 3 5