Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review) Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe

Mandarin Orange Juice

Spicy Mandarin Orange Juice

This is a simple recipe for using up the extra mandarin oranges that may be lying around after the new year visitings. I know most people love to just peel the oranges and eat them, but I get bored of eating them after some time. Spicy mandarin orange juice? I have seen Tabasco sauce being added to cocktails a lot so I thought, why not make my orange juice slightly spicy for the extra kick? I also used a lemongrass stalk as a stirrer so that there will be a mild lemongrass scent as the juice is being stirred.

Spicy Mandarin Orange Juice

Happy Chinese New Year to those who are celebrating it! May the year of the Tiger bring you good blessings. Happy Valentine’s Day too!

(Updated) Note: The origami tiger you see in the photos was folded using this tutorial.

Ingredients
(Serves 1; fills a small glass about 200ml)

- 3 mandarin oranges, peeled (use more oranges if you want more juice)
- 1/2 lemongrass stalk
- Tabasco sauce (for mild spiciness; optional)

Tools Needed
- Fruit juice extractor

Directions
1. Make slits all over the lemongrass. If you want more aroma, you can dip it in hot water for 10 seconds.
2. Blend oranges in a fruit juice extractor. Add Tabasco sauce to taste (I added 6 drops). Garnish with the lemongrass stirrer and add ice cubes if desired.

Spicy Mandarin Orange Juice
Even Mr Tiger found the spicy orange juice irresistible

39 Responses to “Mandarin Orange Juice”

1. Bob — February 13, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

Sounds intriguing. Great photos!

2. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) — February 13, 2010 @ 12:52 pm

Love your origami tiger! Happy new year!

3. tigerfish — February 13, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

I think I prefer lemongrass to Tabasco…

4. Cooking-Gallery — February 13, 2010 @ 10:14 pm

The recipe sounds interesting, with tabasco… I don’t drink cocktails often, but I can imagine that tabasco might add an extra kick to the juice. Happy Chinese New Year by the way :).

5. Pepy @ Indonesia Eats — February 13, 2010 @ 10:39 pm

Same with Tigerfish :)

Btw, the tiger looks so cute, you have to teach how to make that tiger’s orgiami.
    Gong Xi Fat Cai

• wiffy replied: — February 17th, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

I updated the blog post with the origami link ;) Thanks for the new year wishes~

6. lisaiscooking — February 13, 2010 @ 11:13 pm

This sounds great! The spicy kick and lemongrass flavor sound lovely with mandarin.

7. jo — February 13, 2010 @ 11:26 pm

What a great idea to use up all the oranges! And the tiger is real cute. Have a great CNY and Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family.

8. Ching — February 13, 2010 @ 11:30 pm

How cute that origami tiger! Happy Lunar New Year and have a sweet Valentine’s Day!

9. Big Boys Oven — February 14, 2010 @ 12:48 am

Gong Hei! Gong Hei! Gong Hei Fatt Choy!
    May the Tiger bless you with lots of fortunes and goodies, have fun yeah! . . . . from sunny & Sid

10. Paige at The Spice House — February 14, 2010 @ 5:24 am

Looks like you’ve combined 2 of my favorite breakfast drinks: fresh-squeezed juice and bloody marys. I’ll have to try this next time my neighbor’s kids are selling oranges (much better fundraiser than popcorn or cookies, imo).
    My current favorite enhanced OJ is to blend the juice of several oranges with a few slivers of peel, a bit of ginger, and some fresh-grated nutmeg.

• wiffy replied: — February 17th, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

Your enhanced OJ recipe sounds delicious! Going to give it a try some day.