Tuna Pasta Recipe Dijon Honey Chicken Wings Recipe Beef Claypot Rice Recipe How to Make Grated Ginger Juice Ginger Grater Singapore Char Kway Teow Recipe

Chilled Soya Beancurd

soya beancurd pudding

Check Out: Almond Soya Beancurd Recipe

Early this year, this “lao ban” chilled soya beancurd recipe which was shared by chanzhf on HWZ went viral – I remembered at least 3 unconnected friends who told me about it on the same week. It is said to have cause a temporary, nationwide shortage of some of the ingredients. For the uninitiated, Lao Ban Soya Beancurd (老伴豆花) at Old Airport Road is arguably Singapore’s most popular chilled soy milk pudding. It is loved for its silky soft and smooth tau huay texture. Naturally, a recipe to recreate it at home cheaply and effortlessly is too tempting to pass on. If you have home-made soy milk, you may use it in place of the soy milk powder.

chilled soya beancurd

While I felt that this isn’t really a replica of Lao Ban’s famous dessert, this is definitely a delicious tasting and easy 15-minute soy milk pudding recipe for keeps. I slightly modify the recipe by reducing the instant jelly powder so that the pudding will be soft and wobbly (the original amount of jelly powder made my jelly quite firm). I swopped the quantity of Polleney and Unisoy powders around, as the Unisoy comes in 30-grams sachets, and to my surprise, I like the taste with more Unisoy. To get the silky smooth texture (as I did for my steamed egg with pork and chawanmushi), I also sieved the soya milk for about 4 times, and flatten surface bubbles before chilling.

Printable Recipe
Chilled Soya Beancurd (Step-by-Step)
ingredients for chilled soya beancurd These are the key ingredients for making this recipe. Apart from the jelly powder which I bought from Phoon Huat, I got the rest from NTUC.
making chilled soya beancurd Whisk soy milk powder, creamer, sugar and hot water.
making chilled soya beancurd In a saucepan, gently heat the soy milk mixture until warm but not boiling, stirring the soya milk until fully dissolved.
 making chilled soya beancurd Stir in instant jelly powder until fully dissolved. Run the soya milk through a sieve for about 4 times.
making chilled soya beancurd Gently pour into 2 bowls and flatten surface bubbles with the back of a spoon. Leave to cool at room temperature, then transfer bowls to chill in the fridge.

54 Responses to “Chilled Soya Beancurd”

1. CH — July 10, 2012 @ 9:41 am

Hi. Thanks for your recipe. What is the purpose of the Nestle Coffee-Mate coffee creamer?

• wiffy replied: — July 10th, 2012 @ 10:11 am

The original recipe from HWZ uses coffee creamer, as it is trying to mimick Lao Ban’s taste. I think the coffee creamer gives it a maltish taste.

2. Irene — July 14, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

Hi Wiffy,

Can I use pectin powder? same as jelly powder?

Thanks

• wiffy replied: — July 17th, 2012 @ 12:54 pm

Hi sorry, I have not tried it before.

3. nancy — July 19, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

Hi, how to use gelatine ? (instead of instant jelly)
    thx

• wiffy replied: — July 25th, 2012 @ 5:32 pm

I believe you just need to replace the instant jelly with the gelatin, the steps are the same.

• nancy replied: — July 30th, 2012 @ 9:15 am

What about the measurement? is it same amount with instant jelly or different?
        Thx

4. miss ene — July 24, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

Hi noobcook! My husband has been hard at work, trying to ‘crack the code’ to this ‘lao ban tau huay’ since I passed him the recipe from HWZ last Dec. He followed the original recipe on his first attempt and like you have rightly said, it turned out to be too firm and ‘curd-like’. He’s been hard at work in the kitchen and have since succeeded at making it *almost* like the real ‘lao ban’.

PS. I recently blogged about it, sharing his version of his recipe. In a nutshell, he tweaked the quantities but followed the rest of the ingredients in the list.
    PPS. He even tried adding Horlicks to the mix but it didn’t work :)

• wiffy replied: — July 25th, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

your hubby’s attempt looked so smooth and yummy! I left a comment on your blog :)

• miss ene replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

Thanks for your comment on my blog – I read it :) The idea to use the kitchen aid mixer was the husband’s idea. I told you he’s been hard at work in the kitchen! He’s been making so much of it that we’ve resorted to buying plastic containers (the ones with the red covers) from SKP so that we can store it easily in the fridge. Hur hur. Your version looks pretty awesome too!

Oh and I wanna say that I follow some of the recipes on your blog to make simple dinners. Love them! Keep up the good (blogging) work!

5. Debbie — July 26, 2012 @ 12:16 am

Hi

Where can I buy the soya milk powder?

6. Noris Lye via Facebook — July 31, 2012 @ 1:56 pm

instead of instant jelly powder, how about agar-agar (Thailand), are there the same?

7. Noris Lye via Facebook — July 31, 2012 @ 1:56 pm

8. charrlenee — August 15, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

Hi Noobcook,
    Just want to find out if the ingredients used to make “Lao ban” does contain gelatine?
    Or they are just substitutes used to replace gelatine.

• wiffy replied: — August 22nd, 2012 @ 10:41 am

Hi charrlenee, sorry I do not know what original “Lao Ban” recipe use, it’s their secret recipe ;)

9. BaoBaoNeo — August 19, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

Dear Noobcook,

Thanks for this wonderful recipe. I live in the North, and love eating the Lao Ban beancurd. I tried out your recipe and is able to recreate this wonderful tasting treat for my family. My K2 gal loves this dessert. Thanks again!

• wiffy replied: — August 29th, 2012 @ 10:30 pm

happy to hear, thanks for your note :)

10. Nelly Chou — August 29, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

Hi Wiffy, thanks for sharing the recipe. Love “lao ban” beancurd!!
    Btw, I’m wondering why we need 2 types of soy bean milk powder (Unisoy and Polleney)? Is it okay if I just use only Unisoy powder?

• wiffy replied: — August 29th, 2012 @ 10:30 pm

Hi Nelly, please see my reply #8 to Angie. Thanks :)