Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe Mum's Egg Mee Sua Recipe Traditional Baked Mooncakes Recipe Ottogi Korean Cheese Ramen Foochow Red Wine Mee Sua Recipe

Soy Milk

Soy Milk Recipe

Check Out: Chilled Soya Beancurd Recipe

I love soy bean milk, or locally known as “tau huey tzui” (豆奶/豆花水/豆浆). If I buy them from random stalls, they are usually quite diluted and tastes very syrupy.  There are nice ones like the Selegie and Rochor brands but they are not available everywhere. So I thought it will be nice to make my own organic and rich tasting soy bean milk. I always thought making soy bean milk is very difficult. But after trying it out, I realised it is much easier than I expected it to be.  It’s rewarding to enjoy home-made soy bean milk made with organic soy beans. The main ingredients are just soy beans, pandan leaves and rock sugar. You need basic tools like a blender and a muslin bag. This is a healthy and high protein drink and also suitable for the lactose-intolerant. Here is a detailed step-by-step photos recipe guide to demystify the making process. You can use your home-made soy milk to make a wholesome and all-natural chilled soya beancurd dessert.

Printable Recipe
Soy Milk Recipe Soak the soy beans in water overnight. After soaking, discard water and rinse a few rounds with water.
Soy Milk Recipe Place the beans in an electric blender and add water.
Soy Milk Recipe My blender (U-Like brand) came with a special filter add-on which is great for making soy bean milk – it has an inner filter to place the beans and the pulp will be contained inside the filter for convenience. However, you can use any type of blender and there is actually no need to purchase any special type of blender for making soy bean milk.
Soy Milk Recipe Whizz the soy bean and milk for at least 2 minutes, taking a break every 30 seconds to prevent the appliance from overheating.
Soy Milk Recipe Filter the milk through a fine sieve.
Soy Milk Recipe Now we have to do something about the pulp because it contains quite a bit of soy bean milk.
Soy Milk Recipe To do that, we need a coconut squeezer bag – basically a cloth filter/muslin bag with fine holes.
Soy Milk Recipe Place the pulp in the bag and squeeze it to extract the remaining milk in the pulp.
Soy Milk Recipe You can see the photo for the difference in the pulp before and after squeezing. After squeezing, the pulp is dry and compact.
Soy Milk Recipe If you want extra smooth soya bean milk, sieve the milk mixture a few more times then transfer to a pot (I’m using a wok).
Soy Milk Recipe Add pandan leaves for extra fragrance. Bring to a gentle simmer (not boiling or the milk will curd) over medium low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring with a ladle regularly. After simmering, add rock sugar to taste and stir until they dissolve.
 Soy Milk Recipe Enjoy your home-made, organic soya bean milk. Drink warm or chilled. Due to the absence of preservatives, the longest I have kept it refrigerated is overnight. It should keep for 1 to 2 days.

89 Responses to “Soy Milk”

1 2 3 6
  1. viv — November 13, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

Hi
    Was wondering if there is anything we can do with the pulp? Am not sure but I think the Japanese use it in some recipes but can’t confirm it.

• wiffy replied: — November 16th, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

Hi viv, check out the comments, there are some very good suggestions :)

• Ann replied: — September 4th, 2012 @ 5:07 am

I use the pulp to fertilize my flower (or any plant) plants.

2. Eat. Travel. Eat! — November 13, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

Ha, I was thinking of posting my recipe too before with soymilk but you beat me to it! Pandan leaves are a nice touch, I have not seen that before.

Viv, you could use the pulp in pancake batter/crepe batter for a more nutritious feeling. :)

• wiffy replied: — November 16th, 2010 @ 4:15 pm

I can’t wait to see your recipe! Pandan leaves lend an unbeatable fragrance to the soy milk, but I understand it’s quite a challenge to find in the US.

• Ann replied: — September 4th, 2012 @ 4:58 am

You can find pandan leaves at Asian market frozen area,99 cents per bag and can use for 3 times making soy milk, very flavorful in making some desserts too.

3. Jun — November 13, 2010 @ 4:07 pm

Seems like more and more people are making soy bean milk at home … :D

Your way is exactly like my mother’s .. only that she always gets a bit worked up if we don’t finish it. Great post, Wiffy!

• wiffy replied: — November 16th, 2010 @ 4:22 pm

lucky you, to have your mum make it for you!

4. Jodi — November 13, 2010 @ 5:44 pm

I have recently switched to Soy milk as i think i have a dairy intollerance, but i was quite concerned to see how many additives are in the supermarket milks. This is great, i love the idea of making my own.

• wiffy replied: — November 16th, 2010 @ 4:22 pm

home-made is definitely better, if we can afford the time :)

5. peachkins — November 13, 2010 @ 5:52 pm

hmmnnn…I’m gonna book mark this and see if I can do this myself..I so love soy milk!

6. Judy — November 13, 2010 @ 6:22 pm

I bought a soya bean maker 6 years ago which can yield 1500ml of milk. Initially I was very enthusiastic and made it every other day. After a couple of months, my family got tired of drinking it. Btw, the pulp can be used to make cookies.

7. celine — November 13, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

this is easier than i expected!! might be tempted to try making some this weekend :)

8. HoppingHammy — November 13, 2010 @ 9:24 pm

The sign of a true cook is someone who calls this type of recipe “easier then expected” – YOU

The sign of a NON-cook (who likes everything instantly with no work involved) is someone who is ready to run away after reading the first step – ME

LOL! :D :D This looks so fresh and delicious though. I don’t think they sell Pandan leaves where I am, but I have tried the chocolate & vanilla ones, from “Silk”, that are sold in a bottle…pretty good! You should try making a chocolate version sometime. ;)

• wiffy replied: — November 16th, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

I heard it’s very challenging to find pandan leaves in US. If one is lucky, can find frozen ones. Over here, there is an overabundance.

hey, making soy milk is nowhere as challenging as the type of stuff you do ;)

9. Ching @ LCOM — November 14, 2010 @ 12:24 am

Wow, looking at this, I am inspired to make my own soy bean milk.

10. Pepy @Indonesia Eats — November 14, 2010 @ 2:00 am

Then you can make tofu from the pulp. I always have either almond or soy milk in my fridge, but never make them by myself :)

• wiffy replied: — November 16th, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

I didn’t know pulp can convert to tofu, must research on this :)

1 2 3 6