Soft-boiled Eggs (Half-boiled Eggs)
Stay in touch on Instagram
Don’t Miss a Recipe!
Receive new recipes updates in your email box:
Soft-boiled Eggs Recipe
Be sure to start with eggs at room temperature before attempting to pour boiling water over them. If they are just taken out of the fridge and still cold, the sudden change in temperature when doused with the boiling water will cause the egg shells to crack. Egg white may leak from the cracks, leaving an unsightly mess as it mixes with the hot water and cooks partially outside the shell.
- eggs at room temperature (any number, as long as they occupy one layer)
- boiling water
- heat-proof container with lid
- Arrange eggs to occupy one layer in a heat-proof container or a pot. I’m using my microwave rice cooker as it comes with a tight fitting lid.
- Pour boiling water to cover the eggs. Secure with a tight lid.
- After 5 minutes, carefully discard water.
- Break eggs into a shallow dish and add a dash of white pepper and dark soy. To complete the breakfast experience, serve with hot kopi/teh and kaya toast.