Teh 'C' Recipe Watermelon Soju Recipe Bittergourd Salted Egg Recipe Myojo Ramen Char Mee 100 (Instant Noodles Review) Snowskin Mooncakes Recipe Birthday Mee Sua (Longevity Noodles) Recipe

Shark’s Fin Melon Soup

Shark's Fin Melon Soup

Shark's Fin Melon Soup I am cooking shark’s fin melon soup! NOT shark’s fin + melon soup, but soup made with shark’s fin melon … so don’t worry, no sharks were killed in the making of this soup. As you may have guessed, shark’s fin melon got its name from its resemblance to shark’s fin, a popular and exorbitantly expensive Chinese delicacy. When cooked (see photo on right), the strands of the melon separate a little, resembling cooked shark’s fin, hence the name of this melon. Shark’s fin melon is cheap – I bought a piece of melon for only S$1.50. I was told that real shark’s fin on its own has no nutrition value and no taste, and the overall taste of the shark’s fin soup comes from its earthy broth of chicken, crab and other ingredients. This melon, on the other hand, is packed with lots of taste and nutrients, even my mum swears by the health benefits of this soup. If I am selling this soup, my sales pitch will be that “this soup is more nutritional and much, much cheaper than real sharks fin soup”.

You May Also Like: Imitation (Fake) Fin Soup Recipe

In Singapore, this melon is labeled as ‘Shark’s Fin Melon’ (鱼翅瓜). The flesh resembles winter melon but the green skin covering looks entirely different. According to Wiki, in other countries especially in the west, the other names of this melon are spaghetti squash (Cucurbita pepo), vegetable spaghetti, noodle squash, Spaghetti Marrow (in the UK) , squaghetti or Sharkfin Melon (鱼翅瓜). However, spaghetti squash and the other names may not be a 100% accurate translation, though it gives a good start. According to readers comments, the spaghetti squash in the west is sort of yellow/orange outside and inside. There may be a slight variation of breed from location to location.

Shark's Fin Melon
Shark’s Fin Melon (L: removing seeds with a spoon, R: cut into chunks)

47 Responses to “Shark’s Fin Melon Soup”

1. Jun — October 19, 2008 @ 4:37 pm

What an excellent soup! I love clear soup like this. Very chinese, I’d say.

2. Susan — October 19, 2008 @ 6:06 pm

How cool is that? So painterly and serene.
    Wonder how it tastes. :up:

3. tigerfish — October 19, 2008 @ 9:10 pm

Where to get this melon? Never seen it before!

4. lk — October 19, 2008 @ 11:26 pm

When I first read about spaghetti squash from another blog, I didn’t realise that it was sharkfin’s melon. So confusing right? Of course, I would prefer a more stylish name – “sharkfin’s melon”. Hehehe…! Heard about this for many times but never tried it out. Must go to search for it. I am sure my “Emperor” will like “sharkfin”.

5. Katie — October 20, 2008 @ 6:15 am

Have you ever considered writing a cookbook? I bet a lot of people could learn all sorts of thing about exotic food from you. I know I learn something every time I visit your blog.

6. Ning — October 20, 2008 @ 7:40 am

I really think we are on the same wavelength! I have just bought a sharksfin melon/ here we call it spaghetti squash — yesterday! I’m sure your soups tastes deliciously sweet and refreshing! :)

7. delia — October 20, 2008 @ 8:23 am

hi,
    this is another version of cooking the shark fin melon soup. your version looks delicious. will be cooking it this coming saturday.

8. Tastes of Home — October 20, 2008 @ 12:21 pm

wow, this looks soo soothing yet delicious, I love my soups! If I can find this melon here, I’m definitely trying this out! thanks for the recipe.

9. beachloverkitchen — October 20, 2008 @ 4:00 pm

Happy Anniversary!! Look good your sharkfin soup! I saw somewhere ppls post this soup too.Never try to make myself yet but did try at restaurant.Not bad at all!!:P

10. lisaiscooking — October 21, 2008 @ 12:15 am

What a great idea to add the chunks of melon/squash (I’m used to calling it spaghetti squash) and letting the strands pull out as it cooks.